Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Wimberley - film ?

Re: John Wimberley - film ?

He sounds like a great guy. I'm sure he would say that the vision is the key thing, but you can tell that he valued craft in order to complete that vision, nobody spends decades carrying a 5x7" camera around and re-formulating ancient developers if they don't have a clear idea of what they want as the end result !

Well, I have just bought a condenser 138S , so there's no turning back on that. I needed a new project.

I have found the combination of doing my B&W on film, especially larger formats, meshes well with doing colour on digital SLR. It's very useful exercise for the brain to switch between the two every few days. In the past I used to try to do some colour work on 120, alongside the B&W shots, but too often i just took colour & B&W shots of the same thing on two film backs. I didn't work, because they are really different animals that required different subjects and different visualisation.

Does anyone know how to get his book? His website is not working anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I did a bit of a Google and came up with this link . . .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225159693757

Too high for my budget, inevitably.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    He really liked the 5x7 format and photographed and photograph with it quite a lot, and I recall him saying that he thought FP4 was a good film. I use the past tense, because he's photographing in digital now
    Wimberley gone digital? Up is down. Hate is love.

"One thing i can't find, with a significant amount of online searching, however, is which types of film he (Wimberley) has used over the years to get this success."

It looks like you got your answer i.e. that at some point Wimberley embraced FP4. I took a workshop with him a very long time ago, and if I remember correctly his decision to shoot a great deal with FP4 was triggered by the disappearance of Plus X, and he felt that FP4 was about the closest to it. I will look through some materials to see if this is accurate --memory is a bad witness (I think that I might even have an email address for him somewhere). I know that his early experiments with pyro were with Plus X (of course he eventually came up with tables for a range of films).

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Are you sure, I just was viewing his website, try this link. https://johnwimberleyphotography.com/books.php

Roger

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

John has gone digital. He gave all of his camera gear and darkroom equipment to Michael at LightBox Photographic Gallery in Astoria Oregon. His 4x5 holders are all filled with FP-4. I have seen all of his pristine very detailed labels and duplicates of all of his equipment. We have his 5x7 enlarger and complete darkroom as well. When I teach workshops I develop prints in one of his two sinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    John has gone digital ... We have his 5x7 enlarger and complete darkroom as well. When I teach workshops I develop prints in one of his two sinks.
    Nothing but bad news this week. Still, very happy to learn that at least his vestiges have a good and productive home.

I just got a very nice email from John, and he tells me that he used the 138 S with an Ilford Dichroic head - so a diffuser source.