Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 135?

Re: What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 1

LED light pad, 30cm x 21cm, 5600K, with a Nikon D7200 mounted on a K&F cantilever tripod. All have spirit bubbles for parallax correction. Camera shots direct to Capture One. Works great.
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative

Re: What is the best home film scanning workflow if you shoot 4x5, Medium Format, & 1

Here is how I do it: DIGITIZING FILM AT THE KITCHEN TABLE
    Although I am back in my studio since it was finished rebuilding end of January.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Here is how I do it: DIGITIZING FILM AT THE KITCHEN TABLE
    Although I am back in my studio since it was finished rebuilding end of January.
    That's pretty cool, an entire kit to do 35mm - 4x5 for a reasonable price

Software: VueScan for all formats
    4x5 = Epson 700 w/ supplied holders
    5x7 = Epson 700 with Better Scanning holder, usually wet scans.
    120 = Nikon Coolscan 8000, usually with aftermarket glass holder.

I have done pixel-peep comparisons of 120 scanned on the Epson and the Nikon, and the Nikon wins for detail. That said, for online postings the Epson is fine.
    And of course the Nikon is old and no longer available new. Luckily (fingers crossed) mine just keeps on ticking.

Hope this helps.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

I hardly scan my 120 and sheets. Why would I shoot film in the first place? For wet printing, what else? These formats are big enough to judge from a contact sheet. I use the Plustek for 35mm, it’s even cheaper than 300$ and it’s good enough to judge what I want to print wet.

Scanning is always a learning curve as tech and your expectation increases in quality

My best scanning setup fills a room
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    I hardly scan my 120 and sheets. Why would I shoot film in the first place?
    In answer to your question, some of us unfortunates are largely restricted to hybrid workflows, often because we no longer have space for a print-capable darkroom. Or perhaps we have family responsibilities that make it difficult to disappear for hours of wet printing. We continue to shoot film because:
    + we love the process of shooting film and often, as in my case, developing it.
    + we believe that the images we get from that process have a character that is unobtainable from pure digital workflows,
    + we find enjoyment printing digitally, even though the results might not be the same was wet printing.

I don't know the OP's situation, and I'm speaking only for myself as someone who came back to film because of the availability of hybrid work flows. I now print wet occasionally, but not often. And if you are going to work hybrid, you need the best scans you can get,
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    In answer to your question, some of us unfortunates are largely restricted to hybrid workflows, often because we no longer have space for a print-capable darkroom. Or perhaps we have family responsibilities that make it difficult to disappear for hours of wet printing. We continue to shoot film because:
    + we love the process of shooting film and often, as in my case, developing it.
    + we believe that the images we get from that process have a character that is unobtainable from pure digital workflows,
    + we find enjoyment printing digitally, even though the results might not be the same was wet printing.

I don't know the OP's situation, and I'm speaking only for myself as someone who came back to film because of the availability of hybrid work flows. I now print wet occasionally, but not often. And if you are going to work hybrid, you need the best scans you can get,
    For 35mm film I do not disagree with you.

Well, not sure the question, but I use an epson V850 up to 8x10 and I use a Howtek HiResolve 8000 for 4x5 up to 8x10. For 35mm I use Nikon Coolscan 4000.