Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Converting 5x7 Head to LED Technology?

Drew Wiley

Re: Converting 5x7 Head to LED Technology?

See if Aristo still offers a V54 blue-green cold light in that size (always go somewhat oversized; so the 8X10 version would be ideal). They're great. I'm assuming your ZVI feedback beeper or timer still works; it can be repurposed to the Aristo.
    A buy-it-yourself LED top from Heiland instead of DIY will cost you dearly. But if you don't need to print anytime soon, and like to tinker for potentially months on end, have at it. It might be a lot easier to make a diffusion box with a more common 4X5 colorhead above it. E colorheads were never that common. Adapting a new Aristo cold light would be the easiest of all.

Not sure why so many fight change to LED, especially for B&W

It works and I proved that with samples nearly a decade ago

I am using 4X5 Intrepid LED head in DeVere 504

I have 2 Aristo 1212 and don't like them

I had a 5x7 Aristo head made for Elwood, but it became LED head next up

I don't like or print any COLOR

All COLOR inages are....CRAP
    Tin Can

For me, not having deep pockets...its always about compromise. So when my Zone VI VC cold light head started to flicker and waver, I sold my Hasselblad SWC 903 and went for the Heiland 5x7 LED VC head.

Sure that Hassy was a beauty, and I do miss it at times - but it was basically sitting idle and I needed consistency/repeatability, reliability, ultra-fine adjustability, and brightness to print to 40x60 from 5x7, and I did not have the time to cobble, fiddle and tinker - so the Hassy for Heiland swap was a no brainer.

So while I do generally fall into the DIY camp, in this case I needed to make an exception, and am I ever glad I did!

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Not sure why so many fight change to LED, especially for B&W

It works and I proved that with samples nearly a decade ago

I am using 4X5 Intrepid LED head in DeVere 504

I have 2 Aristo 1212 and don't like them

I had a 5x7 Aristo head made for Elwood, but it became LED head next up

I don't like or print any COLOR

All COLOR inages are....CRAP
    Yikes. All color images are crap? Strange statement.

Regarding LED heads for B&W, there's no reason necessarily not to do it. However I do think it makes sense to ask why do it? What is the problem you're trying to solve?

Drew Wiley

Well, it's nice to have Heiland officially enter the game. But their 5X7 LED VC head is going to cost you around $2600 plus shipping, way more than most colorheads sufficient to that size. I don't have time at the moment to try to look up who might still offer replacement tubes for Zone VI or Aristo cold lights. The pandemic proved to be an extinction event to many niche businesses.

Even Tin Can labels are in color. Maybe he'd be more open-minded to appreciating color prints if they were illuminated by LED floodlights?

M.A. Wikstrom

I also have a Zone VI enlarger and when the head goes I might just try ripping out the interior of the head, install about a hundred white LEDs into a plastic board, put an additional diffuser between the LEDs and the one that's there, and then adjust the color balance and intensity with some gels and/or a potentiometer for the LEDs. Then simply use standard under the lens filters for the multi grade papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, it's nice to have Heiland officially enter the game. But their 5X7 LED VC head is going to cost you around $2600 plus shipping, way more than most colorheads sufficient to that size. I don't have time at the moment to try to look up who might still offer replacement tubes for Zone VI or Aristo cold lights. The pandemic proved to be an extinction event to many niche businesses.

Even Tin Can labels are in color. Maybe he'd be more open-minded to appreciating color prints if they were illuminated by LED floodlights?
    Just found this: https://www.light-sources.com/soluti...oducts/aristo/

As one can see, sadly they are discontinuing manufacturing of replacement Aristo tubes. They direct any questions to Louise Kessler who has been the contact person for these products for several years.

Some years ago I adapted a 5 x 7 Aristo-Grid head to my 4 x 5 Beseler to get an over-size light source; I'm not using the full 5 x 7 area. Its V54 tube probably has enough remaining hours considering the number of remaining hours I probably have.

David

Drew Wiley

Like I hinted, there was an outfit specifically making grid replacements; but I don't know if their business survived the pandemic hit or not, and can't remember their name. Perhaps the contact at Aristo would know.