Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hats, bugspray, boots, sunscreen

Hats, bugspray, boots, sunscreen

Backpack electroshocker, Jeffrey. In the right conditions very effective.

You're jossing us right? They really sell one of those things?

Don't shockers attract more bugs?

Prank, I never post in jest.

Use Google to find references to backpack electroshockers and electrofishing. There are also boat-mounted and truck-mounted shockers. They're used by ichthyologists and fisheries biologists. Not, as far as I know, by entomologists. It really doesn't do to be in the water bare-legged near one.

I don't own one, can't justify the expense. And even a little backpack shocker is too big and heavy and (danger! danger!) filled with gasoline or vapors to be easy to transport by air. But I've been in the field in Panama and Nicaragua with teams from STRI and MNCN-Madrid who had 'em. The Spaniards had a cute little one that was, in fact if not in law, air transportable.

You're thinking of those backyard bug zappers. Entirely different, and much, much cheaper.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

That's not fishing. It's wildlife genocide. And scientists use these? Are they afraid of worms, or maybe salmon egg bait is too slimey to touch? I am the one who is shocked that anyone can and will actually do that sort of thing. Yeah, I'm a tree hugger, too. Especially just after I photograph one.

Common complaint, Jeffrey that I think it misplaced.

The only way to get a good sample when doing survey work is to use all of the gears possible. Cast net, seine, "research" gill net, shocker, explosive cord or dynamite, poison, and sometimes even dip nets. Your view of what's necessary and adequate is distorted by living in North America -- some parts of our continent, e.g., California, have depauperate fish faunas -- and being, I gather, an angler.

"Tree huggers" simply don't understand that the world has ended already. The best we can hope to do now is document what's still there. Preservation, except perhaps preservation focused on a few feature creatures, isn't possible. Too many people. I have a reasonable baseline in southern Central America and its all over there. Over.

You grossly misuse the word genocide. You have no idea of the quantities of fishes in existence or of the quantities taken by scientific collectors. We don't scratch the surface.

Re: Hats, bugspray, boots, sunscreen

i have a hat simialr to that, xcept it is a pendleton and it is crushable as well. i have been looking for a decent shirt to wear out in the field that doesn't draw too much attn and is comfortable!! i've seen those shirts used by guys who fish-they have a a vented like back that keeps you cool, yet keeps the buggers out.. as far as buggers go in general, i don't get bit. guess they don't like my blood or something! but since i lived up here in washington(state), have not gotten bitten once by the buggers...however, does douglas firs count...wish i could a repelent against them!!damn they make me itch like crazy!! shoe wise, i have a pair old hking boots that have lasted yrs and don't show signs of quitting just yet...so i will keep using them, but am not blind enough to keep an eye out for future replacements!