Thread: Current CLA prices for LG Format shutters?

Current CLA prices for LG Format shutters?

After a few years of inactivity, I've got several slow or sticky shutters that need to be brought back to specifications. Flutot's is asking $160-200 for the CLA, which is almost equal to the price of the lens in some cases, so I was wondering if there are less expensive resources available elsewhere?

Thanks for any leads.

Re: Current CLA prices for LG Format shutters?

From my experience, that's the range you're likely to find from experienced repair technicians. You could always inquire about a group (of shutters) discount. A good CLA job will often last a long time, and a technician can tell you whether you will be better off investing a bit more at the time for a part replacement, if available.

Lots of us know tight budgets. But whether or not you need to save for a good while for a repair, in my view it is a good investment, not just an expense. I have cameras in 4x5, 120, and 35, and not nearly as much time to use them as I'd like. Years ago I was a professional and kept them in active use. Now I keep them exercised but running through the shutter speeds and moving the aperture rings (and focus rings on relevant lenses) back and forth fully at least once a month, even if I have used one or the other. It only takes about ten minutes for what I have, and it's a good investment in my investments.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Current CLA prices for LG Format shutters?

Here is a copy of an invoice I paid for a CLA in 2020 from Precision Camera Works.
    Bob relocated to Texas since then and CLA'd my Cambo Wide last year.
    I can recommend him for quality service and repairs.

Best of luck,
    Darr