Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Keeping - Processing Film

Record Keeping - Processing Film

I know how important it is to keep records on how a given roll/sheet of film is processed. What I am curious about is how everyone does this. I am presently using clear labels placed at the top of the negative preserver sheet and jotting down the particulars in pencil, to avoid any permanent markings on the preserver sheet. I'm not real enthused about how this works, though. Since I don't recall seeing any discussion in the forum on what others are doing, I thought I would check in.

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Record Keeping - Processing Film

All I have on negative holders are numbers/letters to identify it and the rest of whatever info is in a notebook. I think this is one of those things that are way overblown in terms of importance. I keep notes on what I consider relevant for a particular sheet or roll/frame but processing info is minimal. I think those detailed exposure/processing records a-la Zone System etc. are silly.

I sometimes record data on exposure, etc., if, for instance, different sheets require different processing; my holders are numbered, and notched to later link sheet with holder used. However, I don't store these records. I do keep an Excel log of what's on the film, because some of it has historical value but might otherwise not be immediately identifiable. I do keep printing records of negatives to speed reprinting somewhat.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

I record exposure data and indicate desired development on it at the time of exposure (N, N+, N- à la Zone System).

For the development regimes themselves, I have a separate document with N, N+ and N- times for all the films and developers I use (plus the SLIMT procedures for extended contractions). These were all arrived at by testing and then adjusting times to get the desired results.

I take care to make sure each negative gets the indicated development. If I make a mistake, I'll indicate that on the exposure record. Other than that, I make no notes about what developers were used, etc.

Best,

Doremus

Jeffery Dale Welker

I am serious nerd when it comes to my photography/darkroom record keeping. Each of my 4x5 negatives are stored in an Archival Methods clear "Polyester Interleaving Film Folder". Then each "Film Folder" is placed in an Archival Methods "Open End Envelope". I print information on the outside of the envelope prior to placing the negative folder in the envelope (see example of printed info below). Lastly, approximately 100 4x5 negatives are stored in an Archival Methods "Hinged Lid Box" sorted by date. No doubt it is a tedious process on the frontend, but it makes finding, referencing, and printing from older negatives relatively painless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4x5 Negative Envelope .jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	237721
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

I’ll record everything, put it in a database and use exiftool to write it in the .tiff file. This way I can find it back in Lightroom or my own system.

3x5 card in the field with exposure notes and a development plan before I start. I go through them sometimes to remind me of successes and failures. Darkroom/processing consistency is key and the willingness to do some tests.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I sometimes hit video on my cellphone and record the settings as I'm doing the setup. Then I'll transfer the data to a hard copy in my log (see link) that I scan and put in the same LR file folder as my photo scans. Hard copies will go in the same album as the negatives.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...ra-repair_1090

For all the 6x9cm stuff I do, which is most of my B&W, I just use the Kenro 120 translucent pages, and write the location(s) and date(s) at the top of the sheet, using a fine marker pen, and the film type, Developer and time/temperature vertically on the left near the filing holes. Sometimes I note down the lens focal lengths on the main neg strip areas.

The information I may need I write on the envelope, after processing, I put my negatives into.