Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Have any of you downsized from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

I thought about downsizing from 8x10 to 5x7 then I realized by 8x10 Gowland camera is lighter than my 5x7 Linhof Tech III. The Tech III is somewhat easier to setup but I also discovered it has a fatal flaw focusing 90mm lenses which I was hoping to use with it.

We all weaken over time

When I signed onto LF

I was very ill

Yesterday I slept all day outside

Plotting my porch into a solar studio

LFPF has been very good for me
    Tin Can

M.A. Wikstrom

Many years ago before my time, going from large format down to medium format and eventually small format was considered an upgrade. In terms of portability and ease of use it still is.

Going bigger very quickly runs into the law of diminishing returns. The vast majority of the World's most memorable and famous photographs were taken with smaller cameras.

NOPE wrong

I need big film and contact prints for my sorry vision

I also need LESS DIGI everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    Many years ago before my time, going from large format down to medium format and eventually small format was considered an upgrade. In terms of portability and ease of use it still is.

Going bigger very quickly runs into the law of diminishing returns. The vast majority of the World's most memorable and famous photographs were taken with smaller cameras.
    Tin Can

Small town, South Carolina, US

Agreed as to the smaller cameras. But most of my photography is for archival purposes. 4x5 is best suited for that - and I do use the rangefinder of my Busch Pressman 4x5 fairly often.

I think 4x5 is the sweet spot. I don't have a reason for 8x10 but I'm happy for those that do. I spent my money on lenses this time around. I'd rather have a selection of focal lengths than a camera with one or two lenses. 8X10 would sink the budget. If only I could find a woman to support me in a style to which I could become accustomed......

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    NOPE wrong

I need big film and contact prints for my sorry vision

I also need LESS DIGI everything
    Sure, for you. But one would think that enLARGEments would be preferable for bad eyesight. I don't much like digi for my photography either, but like it or not it's the way of the world. Maybe as AI makes fake pictures easier to make there will be a demand for real photographs.

I love large format, but don't have any delusions about it. And for the sake of film, paper, and chemicals I hope more photographers get into it.

I shoot most of the time 4x5 and then run into an 8x10 crisis. When the crisis is over, I'm back to 4x5... Until the next one.
    Completely irrational and personal. So everybody is right in his own madness !

Enlargements need very good focus

I am moving to contact prints 5X7 and larger

As I do mostly faces, I can shoot with a string to a persons eye to gain focus

Head steady also helps
    I have one Auto focus enlarger for 35mm PTL

I have zero desire to follow 'the way of ANY world

Sure, for you. But one would think that enLARGEments would be preferable for bad eyesight. I don't much like digi for my photography either, but like it or not it's the way of the world. Maybe as AI makes fake pictures easier to make there will be a demand for real photographs.

I love large format, but don't have any delusions about it. And for the sake of film, paper, and chemicals I hope more photographers get into it.
    Tin Can

M.A. Wikstrom

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Enlargements need very good focus

I am moving to contact prints 5X7 and larger

As I do mostly faces, I can shoot with a string to a persons eye to gain focus

Head steady also helps
    I have one Auto focus enlarger for 35mm PTL

I have zero desire to follow 'the way of ANY world
    Yep, understand. For large format I don't do much 4x5 anymore and find that my sweet spot is 5x7. My eyesight isn't terrible (yet), but the 4x5 ground glass is a bit small to me.

Using a 5x7 Intrepid with a couple lightweight lenses and two or three film holders I've been able to get my field kit to about 10 pounds, not including the tripod. Very workable for hiking.