Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 81

Thread: Have any of you downsized from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Seattle area, WA
    Posts
    1,231

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    I thought about downsizing from 8x10 to 5x7 then I realized by 8x10 Gowland camera is lighter than my 5x7 Linhof Tech III. The Tech III is somewhat easier to setup but I also discovered it has a fatal flaw focusing 90mm lenses which I was hoping to use with it.

  2. #42
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21,579

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    We all weaken over time

    When I signed onto LF

    I was very ill

    Yesterday I slept all day outside

    Plotting my porch into a solar studio

    LFPF has been very good for me
    Tin Can

  3. #43
    M.A. Wikstrom
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    175

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    Many years ago before my time, going from large format down to medium format and eventually small format was considered an upgrade. In terms of portability and ease of use it still is.

    Going bigger very quickly runs into the law of diminishing returns. The vast majority of the World's most memorable and famous photographs were taken with smaller cameras.

  4. #44
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21,579

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    NOPE wrong

    I need big film and contact prints for my sorry vision

    I also need LESS DIGI everything

    Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    Many years ago before my time, going from large format down to medium format and eventually small format was considered an upgrade. In terms of portability and ease of use it still is.

    Going bigger very quickly runs into the law of diminishing returns. The vast majority of the World's most memorable and famous photographs were taken with smaller cameras.
    Tin Can

  5. #45
    Small town, South Carolina, US
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    448

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    Many years ago before my time, going from large format down to medium format and eventually small format was considered an upgrade. In terms of portability and ease of use it still is.

    Going bigger very quickly runs into the law of diminishing returns. The vast majority of the World's most memorable and famous photographs were taken with smaller cameras.
    Agreed as to the smaller cameras. But most of my photography is for archival purposes. 4x5 is best suited for that - and I do use the rangefinder of my Busch Pressman 4x5 fairly often.

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Apr 2023
    Posts
    39

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    I think 4x5 is the sweet spot. I don't have a reason for 8x10 but I'm happy for those that do. I spent my money on lenses this time around. I'd rather have a selection of focal lengths than a camera with one or two lenses. 8X10 would sink the budget. If only I could find a woman to support me in a style to which I could become accustomed......

  7. #47
    M.A. Wikstrom
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    175

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    NOPE wrong

    I need big film and contact prints for my sorry vision

    I also need LESS DIGI everything
    Sure, for you. But one would think that enLARGEments would be preferable for bad eyesight. I don't much like digi for my photography either, but like it or not it's the way of the world. Maybe as AI makes fake pictures easier to make there will be a demand for real photographs.

    I love large format, but don't have any delusions about it. And for the sake of film, paper, and chemicals I hope more photographers get into it.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Los Angeles / Paris
    Posts
    28

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    I shoot most of the time 4x5 and then run into an 8x10 crisis. When the crisis is over, I'm back to 4x5... Until the next one.
    Completely irrational and personal. So everybody is right in his own madness !

  9. #49
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    21,579

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    Enlargements need very good focus

    I am moving to contact prints 5X7 and larger

    As I do mostly faces, I can shoot with a string to a persons eye to gain focus

    Head steady also helps
    I have one Auto focus enlarger for 35mm PTL

    I have zero desire to follow 'the way of ANY world


    Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    Sure, for you. But one would think that enLARGEments would be preferable for bad eyesight. I don't much like digi for my photography either, but like it or not it's the way of the world. Maybe as AI makes fake pictures easier to make there will be a demand for real photographs.

    I love large format, but don't have any delusions about it. And for the sake of film, paper, and chemicals I hope more photographers get into it.
    Tin Can

  10. #50
    M.A. Wikstrom
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    175

    Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Enlargements need very good focus

    I am moving to contact prints 5X7 and larger

    As I do mostly faces, I can shoot with a string to a persons eye to gain focus

    Head steady also helps
    I have one Auto focus enlarger for 35mm PTL

    I have zero desire to follow 'the way of ANY world
    Yep, understand. For large format I don't do much 4x5 anymore and find that my sweet spot is 5x7. My eyesight isn't terrible (yet), but the 4x5 ground glass is a bit small to me.

    Using a 5x7 Intrepid with a couple lightweight lenses and two or three film holders I've been able to get my field kit to about 10 pounds, not including the tripod. Very workable for hiking.

Similar Threads

  1. 8X10 Holder Weight and Why 8X10 is called 8X10???
    By audioexcels in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2008, 15:18
  2. Linhof 8x10 GTL or Horseman 8x10 LX-C or Arca 8x10 M-line?
    By Roger Urban in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2001, 14:42
  3. Linhof 8x10 GTL or Horseman 8x10 LX-C or Arca 8x10 M-line
    By Roger Urban in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1-Sep-2000, 21:40

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •