Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Artist Refuses Prize After His AI Image Wins at Top Photo Contest

Re: Artist Refuses Prize After His AI Image Wins at Top Photo Contest

This too will pass

We will sort it out

But NOT AI will be more valuable in 100 years
    Tin Can

AI will be widely accepted as a form of illustration in the near future, if it hasn't been now. There are already photographers and artists who are embracing it and adding it to their portfolio of techniques to create images. Just as photography killed illustration for newspapers and most advertisements, traditional commercial and decorative photography will suffer from the inroads being made by AI.

i like his comment for refusal....

"AI image and photography should not compete with each other in an award like this. They are different entities. AI is not photography. Therefore I will not accept the award.”

now thats honest!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    It took me five seconds to identify that image as AI-generated: look at the "less-than-human" fingers on the right side. The judges should have spotted this as a fake photo in a heartbeat.

EDIT: the judges knew this was an AI image, and the Sony competition rules say nothing about the images having to be created by an actual camera. So the guy's entry was within bounds - he just wanted to see what would happen.
    That’s only a matter of time. In my country there’s an art event that is being held each year, completely focused on AI art this year, with a few convincing images with a certain message even.
    I think this message from the artist is very hard for us all, perhaps a bit less for digital photographers:
    “Just as photography replaced painting in the reproduction of reality, AI will replace photography. Don’t be afraid of the future. It will just be more obvious that our mind always created the world that makes it suffer.” A statement btw that reminds me of Schopenhauer’s philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    My understanding is the judges knew it was AI.

It is often still easy to recognize AI by looking at hands/fingers, which current AI apparently has some trouble with, so creepy, malformed fingers and such are sometimes a dead giveaway - as in this case.
    Rembrandt was about the worst of his contemporaries with hands

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    It took me five seconds to identify that image as AI-generated: look at the "less-than-human" fingers on the right side. The judges should have spotted this as a fake photo in a heartbeat.

EDIT: the judges knew this was an AI image, and the Sony competition rules say nothing about the images having to be created by an actual camera. So the guy's entry was within bounds - he just wanted to see what would happen.
    AI is getting better at hands every day. And eyes, too--they often look lifeless now, but will improve. Soon you will not be able to distinguish AI from man-made art.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    AI is getting better at hands every day. And eyes, too--they often look lifeless now, but will improve. Soon you will not be able to distinguish AI from man-made art.
    naaa. soon humans will make sure to make the crappiest "photos" possible, since the digital revolution nothing has really changed. Crappy wet plate pours, crappy paper negatives, crappy cameras, crappy lenses, it's the new pictorialism. I've given up to be honest and don't really care what ai users or anyone else is doing, seems like a big waste of energy that I could be putting into making more purposefullycrappy photos, sorry photographic images.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    naaa. soon humans will make sure to make the crappiest "photos" possible, since the digital revolution nothing has really changed. Crappy wet plate pours, crappy paper negatives, crappy cameras, crappy lenses, it's the new pictorialism. I've given up to be honest and don't really care what ai users or anyone else is doing, seems like a big waste of energy that I could be putting into making more purposefullycrappy photos, sorry photographic images.
    You don't need to care. AI will be able to generate crap in addition to art as well as any human. It is photography as a trusted, reliable witness to reality that is at stake--although digital retouching programs have been eating away at that for a while now.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    You don't need to care. AI will be able to generate crap in addition to art as well as any human. It is photography as a trusted, reliable witness to reality that is at stake--although digital retouching programs have been eating away at that for a while now.
    photography might be a witness to some sort of reality, but most realities have never looked like photographs, photography has always been unreliable and a liar (nearly pathological at times) just like AI .. same old same old, the only thing is it indexed "something" with a "device" ..

What is the big deal, the computer did not enter the contest. It is nothing new. It is still the artist's work. Ask "R. Mutt" or William Larsen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	william-larson-fireflies-09-1200x630-cropped-2050851954.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	237673