Thread: Question with regard to 4x5 RB Auto Graflex and Lens Board + Lens Compatibilities

Question with regard to 4x5 RB Auto Graflex and Lens Board + Lens Compatibilities

I've been eyeing some of these 4x5 RB Auto Graflex camera's for sale on Ebay and am wondering what sort of lens board this Graflex camera would take to mount a 7" Wollensak Verito Lens on it. Also, another question I have is if the 8 3/4" Wollensak Verito lens would fit on this 4x5? I am new to Large Format Photography and am interested in producing soft-focus photographs in the style of the early Pictorialist photographers (Stieglitz, F. Holland Day, Steichen, Paul Strand, etc..). Also, if you guys know of any services that are reliable in refurbishing the Graflex camera's please let me know below! Thanks all!

Re: Question with regard to 4x5 RB Auto Graflex and Lens Board + Lens Compatibilities

I just took a look in the bible, 10th edition. It says that the standard issue normal lens for the 4x5 RB Auto is 10". OP, I doubt that you have to worry about fit, but far focusing distance may be an issue.

Re: Question with regard to 4x5 RB Auto Graflex and Lens Board + Lens Compatibilities

The shortest focal length lens the 4x5 RB auto can do is 8-3/8 inches I believe. The lens board is 3-3/4 inch. I'm not sure the verito's rear diameter but there's a 2-3/4" hole max it will have to be able to go through if it sticks out past the lens board. Moreover, when the bellows is compressed, the clearance becomes about 2-3/8". So not ideal for big lenses. The RB auto I have is a 1923 model with the curved cutout front, not sure if the older squared front is different. For bigger lenses, I'd go with the series D as is doesn't have that secondary hole behind the lens board like the RB auto. Also has wider bellows vs the RB auto.