Thread: Buying a lens from another country

Buying a lens from another country

If I were to buy a lens off EBay and the seller is in another country, how does that work with customs and what are the fees taxes etc.
    Thanks

Re: Buying a lens from another country

Hugh, I've bought photographic equipment, including lenses, and more from all over the world. It isn't safe to generalize about courier services (DHL, FedEx, UPS) but they often charge customs brokerage fees etc. In addition, in my limited experience DHL is incompetent and dishonest.

Packages sent to me by mail, on the other hand, have always cleared US customs with no added charges including duties. Its been a while since I looked it up, and the rules may have changed, but as far as I know used photographic equipment is not dutiable.

If you buy via eBay, pay with PayPal and pay PayPal with a credit card you're well covered. If the item never arrives, arrives damaged, or is not as described you should be able to recover your funds. But if you have a complaint, complain promptly. Don't let the seller string you along.

Good luck, have fun

Great advice. Thanks

John Olsen

I recently bought a lens from Japan that was shipped via FedEx. The transit emails predicted near-immediate delivery, then showed more reasonable times. However, once the shipment got to Madison it went into "nondeliverable" status. That meant they simply weren't going to do anything with it. I drove to their warehouse and hassled each employee who came to the counter until finally one guy went into the back room to look for it. After two hours I had it in my hands but with absolutely no explanation for their process. The lens itself is just as the seller promised and is my new favorite.

I also shipped several boxes from Japan to the U.S. myself by the postal service. Out of all the boxes, only the one stuffed with photo accessories didn't arrive on schedule. It dragged in 6 months later after I had purchased all of the missing items anew. So go ahead, but be on your guard with the shipping process. Insurance would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hugh, I've bought photographic equipment, including lenses, and more from all over the world. It isn't safe to generalize about courier services (DHL, FedEx, UPS) but they often charge customs brokerage fees etc. In addition, in my limited experience DHL is incompetent and dishonest.
    I've bought lenses and other photographic equipment from Japanese sellers on eBay and have never been charged any additional fees beyond the purchase shipping charge; and sometimes shipping is free. Maybe I've just been lucky, but the delivery service I've received has been exceptional. I've gotten most packages in 3 days...from Japan! Takes UPS over a week to get something here from the east coast.

I have gotten very good service with DHL Express. Not so good with their ground service. Express costs more, of course, but IMO it's worth every penny.

I’ve bought from Canada, UK, and France. Shipping through the the official government postal services to USPS had no problems.

My personal experience with FedX domestically has been horrendous. But if that’s what they use in Japan I guess we just have to deal with it if you really want the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    My personal experience with FedX domestically has been horrendous. But if that’s what they use in Japan I guess we just have to deal with it if you really want the lens.
    Why use FedEx when Japan Post's EMS works?

we will miss USPS.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I've gotten lenses to my front porch from Tokyo in less than 24 hrs. But I once went thru utter hell getting a totally mechanical vintage 70's Norma camera shipped from the UK because it got classified under "electronics" because it was a camera. And apparently the UK doesn't want anyone pirating their electronics secrets, like perhaps a cordless mustache wax softening machine. It was nearly sent back by the parcel company. Japan Post had serious problems and delays during the pandemic. FedEX air shipment worked out something much more efficient at their end. Whether our local post office here is fast and efficient seems to depend on who is at the counter that day; and in terms of receiving packages via USPS, they get delivered to the wrong address quite a bit. I had to walk a box incorrectly left on my porch to a neighbor just a couple days ago. Carriers like UPS and Fedex which tend to be reliable most of year can be miserable during peak holiday season with it temp staffing - stuff lost and mis-delivered, or stolen by the temp warehouse workers and drivers themselves. UPS walk-in stores can be incompetent beyond description. Fortunately, we are close to a centralized UPS parcel hub with its own office, likewise for USPS and Fedex. It's better to drive the ten extra minutes there.