View Poll Results: Which item should be at the end of the main Forum menu?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Google Site Search" at the end

10 45.45%
  • "Today's Posts" at the end

9 40.91%
  • Something else at the end (please tell us in a reply)

3 13.64%

Thread: Poll on positioning of Google Site Search menu option

Poll on positioning of Google Site Search menu option

We have added a direct link to Google Site Search on the Forum main menu. We've initially positioned it at the end of the menu, but some members use the "Today's Posts" function regularly and would prefer to have that remain at the end. We're going to leave the new menu setup as is for a few days to let members try it and see what they think. After a week, we'll check the results of this poll to see if there's a consensus on positioning.

Re: Poll on positioning of Google Site Search menu option

Google search check box left next to the search text box.
    The checking enabels google search with the suffix site:largeformatphotography.info/forum.
    The current link is three steps, click, delete # and type search texts then search. The suggestion is one step, much faster.

The checkbox status should be set by each user by default in profile settings.

Quote Originally Posted by mhayashi View Post
    Google search check box left next to the search text box.
    The checking enabels google search with the suffix site:largeformatphotography.info/forum.
    The current link is three steps, click, delete # and type search texts then search. The suggestion is one step, much faster.

The checkbox status should be set by each user by default in profile settings.
    Sorry, can't do that without custom programming "underneath the hood" of vBulletin, which we're not prepared to do.

For sanity (mine!), I'd like it as close to the existing search as vBulletin allows. Generally, one wants like with like. I usually start with New Posts, and I don't think I have ever used Today's Posts.

The site is not really responsive, so narrow browser windows may loose the button under the existing search box anyway - Firefox 102.10.0esr.

Don't really care about the position but have another suggestion. Use some ordinary character like "XXXXXX" instead of hashtags. The reason is you can not double click to select all of the hashtags at once (at least on macs) since each hashtag is a separate word as far as the operation system sees it. So you are forced to drag select with the mouse or keyboard select with shift and arrow keys.
    It would be much easier to just select the whole word with a double click, and type your search phrase to replace it.
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    Don't really care about the position but have another suggestion. Use some ordinary character like "XXXXXX" instead of hashtags. The reason is you can not double click to select all of the hashtags at once (at least on macs) since each hashtag is a separate word as far as the operation system sees it. So you are forced to drag select with the mouse or keyboard select with shift and arrow keys.
    It would be much easier to just select the whole word with a double click, and type your search phrase to replace it.
    Thank you, good point. I tinkered with a few alternatives, ended up replacing the hashtags with empty brackets - [ ] - which should allow typing in your search term without having to erase anything. Let us know if you run into any problems with this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Thank you, good point. I tinkered with a few alternatives, ended up replacing the hashtags with empty brackets - [ ] - which should allow typing in your search term without having to erase anything. Let us know if you run into any problems with this version.
    Much better, and quicker. Great feature considering the limited options to customize. Thanks

I've moved the discussion on how Google Site Search works and whether it can be limited to particular subforums to the news thread, where more people are likely to see it over the long run. Please post any further questions/discussion about how the search works in that thread.

why have another search or today's posts? we have a search on the top ribbon which also has a today's posts.

suppose instead of burning up screen page real estate that will reduce the font size even smaller than it already is, just add another forum section?

seems something that will get more use makes more sense than redundant space wasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    why have another search or today's posts? we have a search on the top ribbon which also has a today's posts.

suppose instead of burning up screen page real estate that will reduce the font size even smaller than it already is, just add another forum section?

seems something that will get more use makes more sense than redundant space wasters.
    Well, because Google is a so much better search engine with way more options in my opinion. Think proper AND operator (sorely missed in vBulletin) or image results...
    The list of reasons to use Google to search the forum is very long. And result are so more useful.
    This feature will be used every day by me anyway.