Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Graflex Grafmatic film holders more trouble than they're worth?

Re: Are Graflex Grafmatic film holders more trouble than they're worth?

4x5 SInar Norma Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr

My 4x5 SInar Norma Handy with 65mm F8 Super Angulon, Schneider Center Filter 65/8, and K2 Yellow Series 8 filter. The colored filter presses tightly against the center filter, it's the combination I want to use. Six 4x5 Graphmatic film backs, these will be loaded with HP5+ and 400TMAX 4x5 film. Vivitar 283 strobe with Photoflex XTC mini softbox. Should be interesting for closer in shooting. We will see. A hyperfocal focus chart is printed on the back of each Graphmatic for quick focus setting

Five Graphmatics just fit in my Swedish Military Medical Bag (kinds like a camo gasmask bag). What I like is the rapid firepower.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    Have you used it? I have never seen one and been curious about it.
    In regards to Kinematics, the answer is yes. At one time I had 3 (all I had ever come across) but a good friend talked me out of one. I also have 6 or 8 Grafmatics but only 1 two sided filmholder (double darkslide to our Brit friends). The Kinematics are not as smooth in use as the Grafmatics but for 10 shots vs 6 they are worth the effort. Both the Grafmatics and Kinematics require septa in good shape (flat, good grooves, and lubed - I use Ice Wax a bicycle chain lube just on the friction prone areas). Loading requires that the film is inserted all the way with the far end of the film fully inside the back groove. In loading the Grafmatics the little pop out jobby (a technical term!) must be pushed out of the way before inserting the septa or else you will induce bends. Some spring backs don't allow enough movement to accept the Kinematics. In working the slides on both it is a good idea to keep the filmholder firmly gripped to the camera back. The film counter on the Grafmatics is handy and you just have to remember it is there and you fill lose a little bit of that edge of the film. If you have trouble remembering that just take a pencil and put a line on the ground glass to allow for it.

Small town, South Carolina, US

One nice thing about Grafmatics is that they have grooves to allow them to be attached to cameras with Graflok locks.
    Very handy when shooting handheld - the groundglass back can be removed for lighter weight plus the Graflok slides hold the Grafmatics
    tightly against the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    In regards to Kinematics, the answer is yes. At one time I had 3 (all I had ever come across) but a good friend talked me out of one. I also have 6 or 8 Grafmatics but only 1 two sided filmholder (double darkslide to our Brit friends). The Kinematics are not as smooth in use as the Grafmatics but for 10 shots vs 6 they are worth the effort. Both the Grafmatics and Kinematics require septa in good shape (flat, good grooves, and lubed - I use Ice Wax a bicycle chain lube just on the friction prone areas). Loading requires that the film is inserted all the way with the far end of the film fully inside the back groove. In loading the Grafmatics the little pop out jobby (a technical term!) must be pushed out of the way before inserting the septa or else you will induce bends. Some spring backs don't allow enough movement to accept the Kinematics. In working the slides on both it is a good idea to keep the filmholder firmly gripped to the camera back. The film counter on the Grafmatics is handy and you just have to remember it is there and you fill lose a little bit of that edge of the film. If you have trouble remembering that just take a pencil and put a line on the ground glass to allow for it.
    Thanks for the info. Ten sheets in one holder sounds great.

I have and use Grafmatics. I use them when I am hiking to save space in the pack. Recently I bought a set of Septums just in case mine get bent. I had a problem with one of them not closing; some dirt had gotten into the groves. Cleaned it out and lubricated it lightly.

Depends on your level of concentration and ability to remember and work carefully with them. If yes, they can be fine. I prefer a simpler answer, as an infrequent shooter, rusty and sometimes in a bit of a fog. They aren't light, and while they save space, they aren't quite as brilliant an answer as hoped for. Still, they have advantages.

Have often thought about trying out a Grafmatic...but from what I can glean from other's experience (plus my own tendency to screw stuff up repeatedly) - I could only see using this with a hand-held camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    Thanks for the info. Ten sheets in one holder sounds great.

I have and use Grafmatics. I use them when I am hiking to save space in the pack. Recently I bought a set of Septums just in case mine get bent. I had a problem with one of them not closing; some dirt had gotten into the groves. Cleaned it out and lubricated it lightly.
    I have a 2-3 kinematics here, one's broken. The kinematics are not as robust as the grafmatics. 10 sheets in one holder is nice though

I have a Grafmatic for my Speed Graphic but don't really use it much. With a shoulder bag handy I don't find swapping film holders all that difficult.

Conversely, I use a couple of 12-sheet Graflex bag mags with a Graflex Series B 4x5 SLR and it makes a huge difference in my enjoyment with that camera.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

Grafmatics are great but you have to keep them in shape. Septums need to be straight and hold the film tight. If you pinch the ends a bit then the film will be held firmly. You don't want a sheet to come out. That causes a jam even if it slips a little. Easy to avoid though. You also need to keep the sliding parts lubed. Simple to do with wax or bicycle chain wax, which has teflon in it.

The advantages of the Grafmatic have already been mentioned except for one. Grafmatics hold the film FLAT and in the exact right plane. Regular film holders have a bit of slop. If you do long exposures or point the camera down then Grafmatics have a distinct advantage. I have about 30 holders and six Grafmatics. The only downside with Grafmatics is you pretty much have to finish all six sheets before you develop otherwise you can screw up which sheets have been exposed. And of course if you put a sheet in place but don't take the image you need to cycle through all the sheets again to get back in place.

When I use Grafmatics I put them under the spring back like a normal holder, then put the Graflok clamps on as well. Never had a slip doing that.

And get rid of the wheel. I used a pair of pliers on all of mine and just ripped them out. Those wheels stick out way too far.

Quote Originally Posted by PRJ View Post
    And get rid of the wheel. I used a pair of pliers on all of mine and just ripped them out. Those wheels stick out way too far.
    The wheel is not difficult to remove without damaging it, just in case you want/need to reinstall it.