Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy LF lenses?

Where to buy LF lenses?

I’m on the waiting list for a Chamonix 4x5 and was wondering if anyone could make recommendations on where to buy lenses. I’ve looked at Catlabs, Kamerastore, EBay and KEH.
    Thanks

Re: Buying lenses

I think after a month or so (?) you get access to the buy/sell part of this forum, which often has lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    I’m on the waiting list for a Chamonix 4x5 and was wondering if anyone could make recommendations on where to buy lenses. I’ve looked at Catlabs, Kamerastore, EBay and KEH.
    Thanks

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

All of those places, plus this forums buy/sell, are good places to see what is out there and figure out market value. Figuring out personal needs and budget may be more difficult. Are you not finding what you want/need?

There is a shortage as everybody wants the same. Mint, Short, Wide.
    Tin Can

With what kind of photography are you interested in engaging? Have you made any decisions on which focal lengths you need?

I don't think that I have ever purchased a large format lens that wasn't used. EBay is a good source. I've purchased lenses from KEH, B&H, and from Igor's Camera. The last three have good return policies. Once received, always thoroughly check used lenses. Whether or not an EBay seller has a return policy, EBay itself has an effective Buyers' Protection Plan, so long as a buyer can make a "not as described" case. I would not p purchase any lens, where the seller discloses haze in a lens, nor any kind of lens separation.

I've also had good luck purchasing from the For Sale forum on this site. For protection, I would advise to always use PayPal, to get the advantage of their Buyers' Protection Plan. When making a PayPal purchase, never send money as a "gift." Always send money for "goods sold."

Badger Graphic Sales often has LF lenses but you need to call him (Jeff); some things get sold before they get listed on the website.

That said, this forum’s Classified is probably one of the best sources.

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    Thanks
    I can't claim much expertise, but I've had good luck on ebay buying from sellers with very high rating (>99.5%) and seller-paid returns. Robertscamera on ebay has come through for me with equipment of higher quality than their grading system suggests. I trust B.S.Kumar on this forum, who often has lenses for sale.
    Good luck!

Facebook interest groups are unexpectedly good place to buy.
    Photrio classifieds is pretty much alive.
    It’s good to rise financial discipline standards otherwise your second question will be like where to sell them.

I've satisfactorily bought from Japan using eBay to find the lens. Compare prices and then go to sellers with 98+% positive ratings with a fair quantity of sales. Ask questions and propose lower prices. You've got nothing to lose. Shipping costs to the US are pretty cheap so I wouldn't worry about that.

Re: Where to buy LF lenses?

I have purchased from brick and mortar and online stores such as KEH, Igor's Camera, Glazier's in Seattle, B and H, etc. I have purchased on e-bay - but you need to be careful - read everything on the ad and look at the photos. I tend to buy through stores and known sellers - look at their ratings - I only buy from sellers that allow returns.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 12-Apr-2023 at 13:21.