Thread: Forum improvements (kind request)

Forum improvements (kind request)

Two functions of the forum software that might be improved.
    1. Search. If I ask for posts by, e.g., myself, the search returns only threads started by me.
    2. Embed images. When possible, I copy paste a BBCode from my collection on ipernity. But sometimes that is not possible, and I just upload an image from my computer. Then it is displayed only as a thumbnail. Why?

Other than these minor gripes, congratulations for an informative and lively site, that I enjoy despite having made less than half a dozen LF shots -- with my grandfather's 9x12 camera. Just the right mix of technical stuff and images. No discussion of the latest megapickles (I'm looking at you, forum B). No ostracism of practices outside the advocated core membership (I'm looking at you, forum C).

Re: Forum improvements (kind request)

Thanks for your suggestions.

The search function in Vbulletin has long been a bone of contention. It's just not very good. That said, try using "advanced search" instead - it provides a few additional options. Using Google with the "site=" parameter is another option.

In general, Vbulletin tries to minimize the amount of bandwidth consumed when displaying threads. The thumbnail approach for uploaded images is a way of doing that.

When we switched from the original forum software in the 2005-2006 time frame, Vbulletin was the best option available. We are not, however, in a position to make custom changes to the software. We'd need to hire a full-time programmer, and you probably know how much those folks make.

It would be nice if you could add a direct link to the Google search for this site on the top bar. That would make it easier to go directly there without having to type the site name in.

Here is the link: https://www.google.ca/search?num=25&...otography.info

Once you're at the link, you just replace the XXX's with your search.

I do that indirectly now, since I have bookmarked that link in my web browser. By having that link at the top of the site, it just makes it easier to get to for everyone.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    It would be nice if you could add a direct link to the Google search for this site on the top bar. That would make it easier to go directly there without having to type the site name in.
    Excellent idea - thank you! Please check out our new menu option, let us know if you have any trouble with it.

Works great! Thank you.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Wow, that is a great addition. I was a bit dubious as to how better a straight google search would be, as that is generally how I've been finding stuff on this forum, until now.

Perhaps there could be a notification thread about this added feature, I'm sure many would not really know about this feature unless they stumbled upon this thread, or are much more computer savvy than I am; which wouldn't be too hard to be better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Perhaps there could be a notification thread about this added feature...
    Yes, absolutely - will post something shortly.

Google search button: works, nice; thank you!

Thumbnails. I understand the issue, and agree. Possibly your host charges you by bandwidth usage. Links against flickr images cost virtually no bandwidth to lff, and loading the images counts against flickr's bandwidth. And, yes, I'm annoyed on other sites, by people who upload 12- or 24-Mpx images... for pixel-peepers? My screen is 1.3Mpx.