Thread: Source for Replacement Knobs?

Source for Replacement Knobs?

Hi Everyone! I was wondering if anybody had a favorite source for replacement knobs for their cameras. The camera I just bought is missing one aluminum tightening knob/screw (it's a through hole). Here are pictures so you can see what I'm looking for.

I don't think this should be a complicated thing to buy, but I don't know as I'm pretty new to trying to fix a camera myself. With my first online searches I only found some pretty different looking knobs, and I was hoping to find something that kinda would match. If anybody could share their favorite go-to place for this sort of thing, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

-Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails knob is present.jpeg   knob is missing.jpeg  

Re: Source for Replacement Knobs?

Camera knobs for LF cameras are usually custom made during the cameras ( and the companies ) run.
    If you want a dead nuts match you're going to have to get it custom made, or if the manufacturer is still around
    contact them for a OEM replacement, otherwise you're going to to have to hammer on search engines
    for thumb nuts, decorative thumb nuts etc..

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/kn...-hole-knobs-6/

Some threaded through hole knobs here. Number 1 is pretty decent
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

Too bad Nagaoka is not around anymore - just missed it. Thank you for the quick responses though! Yeah I agree that number 1 model looks close enough for the bottom of the camera. Maybe I can get something custom down the road, but this will do great for now.

I used to get all kinds of knobs (and lots of other machined goodies) from a place called Berg in N.J. I think they are still going.

Drew Wiley

I use McMaster, and prefer stainless. But you'll need to know your thread and its pitch. They carry both SAE and metric. If it's a non-standard thread, you'll need the help of a machinist.

John, funny you mentioned WM Berg, I happen to have an old catalog from them when they were in East Rockaway NY.
    Don't think you can order from them anymore but have to go thru a distributor.
    https://www.wmberg.com/

Be aware that not only thread size and pitch are important ( most likely metric if for a Nagaoka ) but the OD of the knob is too
    not sure if your camera is a self encasing kind but the knob is too large of a OD it will prevent it closing.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I went to my local hardware store, and while all they had that would fit was a wing nut, I confirmed the size is M5 and the pitch was whatever the standard one was in his set. I'm going to try getting a couple of the stainless knurled nuts from McMaster, it is easier to tell the other dimensions of the nut on their website, though Berg looks like it may have a couple good options too.

After a lot more mucking around, I saw a very similar product from a place called Ackurat in Sweden I believe, but I had trouble checking out; looks like it's for wholesalers with a VAT ID or something. Although check it out, it is the closest looking product I've found so far:

https://www.ackurat.com/products/han.../kcth-002-593/

In electronics, they use small knobs frequently to screw down terminals to strips etc, so check out electrical/electronics stores or online... But you might have to look to Europe etc for metric sizes...

Next issue will be finding the item, but only sold in a box full of a larger #, not just one you need...

Ace or better hardware stores carried thumbscrews, but will be in SAE threads, but if you find some with undersized thread holes, you can drill them out and tap with the metric thread...

Worst case (not bad), is to bring other knob to machine shop and have them copy it...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Photographer

Save yourself some stress and find a competent local hobby machinist who can replicate the knob for you. It will be easier than buying a bunch of hardware that doesn’t work.
    Keith Pitman