Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Book or documentary recommendations for 4x5 Slide Portraiture?

Re: Book or documentary recommendations for 4x5 Slide Portraiture?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughan View Post
    Everybody's journey begins with a first step, and I don't want to sound mean, but the fact you needed to ask means you need to do some homework.

Thankfully there are some really good YT channels:

The Art of Photography

THopper

Imitative Photography This person looks at some really interesting photographs are tries to re-create them. It sounds like a bad idea but they really do the original artist and their work justice, and their video production is excellent. I'm working through their catalog at the moment.
    Everybody's journey begins with a first step, and I don't want to sound mean, but the fact you needed to ask means you need to do some homework.

Thankfully there are some really good YT channels:

The Art of Photography

THopper

Imitative Photography This person looks at some really interesting photographs are tries to re-create them. It sounds like a bad idea but they really do the original artist and their work justice, and their video production is excellent. I'm working through their catalog at the moment.
    Thanks for the links. I don't consider your comment mean because it's probably true. Most of the art I consume in my free time isn't photography.

I usually learn about a new photographer when I'm trying to solve a problem, research a technique or tool, or learn more about a specific time in history.

Exclamation Re: Book or documentary recommendations for 4x5 Slide Portraiture?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I don't do LF slides in color

I do use a 5x7 Elwood in horizontal projecting on my backdrop

B&W only
    Do you have a 5x7 enlarger? Have you ever shared pictures of your darkroom?

I hesitate about getting into 5x7 because I assume that a 5x7 enlarger would be hard to find, harder to fix if broken, and even harder to afford . At least an 8x10 contact print would never feel "too small." All the equipment for 8x10 would (probably) be too limiting for what I like to capture, though.
    Last edited by Certain Exposures; 8-Apr-2023 at 09:36. Reason: English? Do I speak it? Apparently not.

You can also search up mug shots... most of these portraits were made on large format until the 1980's...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76e060c8e0273f255569f8d3632328bb.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	237425

I have shared my huge DR for free I made in my Chicago Art condo, a group 25 unit all artist effort

Very little interest

so I packed it all up and moved rural

I went from 21' of ARKAY sinks to 7'....... All I need

Kept the enlargers, except the biggest, sold for a profit a very rare FOTAR 10X10 basically a copy of DeVere

I have 2 5x7 Elwood. One wall mount and the other bench folder

Darkroom 3 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

11X14 Mistake Darkroom by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Do you have a 5x7 enlarger? Have you ever shared pictures of your darkroom?

I hesitate about getting into 5x7 because I assume that a 5x7 enlarger would be hard to find, harder to fix if broken, and even harder to afford . At least an 8x10 contact print would never feel "too small." All the equipment for 8x10 would (probably) be too limiting for what I like to capture, though.
    Tin Can

More

8X10 X-Ray Selfie neg scanned as color

1-Color selfie by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

The duplicating process itself is pretty simple: take a photograph of the original. This could be done with a large format camera, an enlarger, or a process camera. Not technically difficult or uncommon.

Occasional 8x10 slides? I'm not sure what you mean. Nothing involving 8x10 film is cheap. Duplicating film may have been more expensive than standard camera film, I never used it myself.

If you wanted large transparencies for back-lit signage you'd use a material specifically made for the purpose like that made by Ciba/Ilford. It was available in standard paper sheet sizes and rolls up to something like 1200mm wide, and used standard Cibachrome print processing machinery and chemistry. It was available in both clear and translucent base and was drop-dead gorgeous. Not cheap either.

As for personal favourite colour photographers: probably Martin Parr, Joel Meyerowitz and the like. The world is full of good colour photographers and good colour photography, in many ways it's the default. For some reason (possibly the single flaw in my otherwise perfect character) I tend to be more impressed by good black and white photography.
    Thanks for the run down. Funny comments

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    You can also search up mug shots... most of these portraits were made on large format until the 1980's...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76e060c8e0273f255569f8d3632328bb.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	237425
    Thanks! I'll check out the link later.

Why does the mug shot look like Nicholas Cage getting arrested by Ana De Armas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    More

8X10 X-Ray Selfie neg scanned as color

1-Color selfie by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    What gave you that color idea? It looks nice.

That's too bad about the group darkroom. I'd love to try 11x14 some day - just not on my dime!!

Do you have pictures of your enlargers? I'm trying to get a sense of how big they look together in a space. I did Google the dimensions.

I bought a few 10X10 enlargers before they were binned

Paid $250 for this magnificent FOTAR but no head

Sold it for $1000 6 years ago without my DIY heads

Very rare and will never be made again

A young man nearly lost his hand when the huge Photo store would not let me touch it, then we jumped in and saved his hand

FOTAR by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can