Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confidence in continued ULF film availability?

Confidence in continued ULF film availability?

Noticed a Korona 717 on Ebay this morning with 10 "bids" indicated already the first day. I hope this indicates confidence in the continued availability of 7x17 film stock and other ULF sizes.

Robert,

I think the unspoken question is availability over what period of time into the future? Certainly ULF (larger than 8x10) is undergoing a resurgence and both Ilford and Kodak have responded to the demand. Still, ULF and the multitude of sizes people desire is not large enough for a major manufacturer to produce and package dozens of sizes for off-the-shelf sale. The best we can hope for is annual or bi-annual "runs" where we can order a supply for the freezer.

Steve

Robert,

As long as people buy it, shoot it and buy more, there will be film available.

There are more options in ULF film availability today then there were ten years ago. Ten years ago you had on the shelf HP5 and HP4 and special orders for Kodak Tri X. Look at all the film types J&C has today.

Relax and go shoot some film.

That Korona is a 5x12".

I think for these custom sizes, we're developing routines for group orders, stocking up, and small manufacturers are figuring out how to reach the market, and the market is finding the manufacturers. Cutting down film from a larger size is usually an option, and there's an increased interest in wetplate photography and coating one's own film, for those who want even greater independence from the photographic-industrial complex.

If you check out the current issue of the Large Format Journal e-magazine ( in the Spring 2006 issue ), you'll see there is an interview that I did with J&C covering this very issue. link is here

Cheers,
    Richard

View Camera magazine did an article in ur Jan/Feb 06 issue on sheet film availability. We did this to counteract the 'experts' who periodically come on these forums announcing the end of film. There is more film available than any of us will ever use.

An updated list is on our web site.

steve simmons

www.viewcamera.com

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

quote: "The best we can hope for is annual or bi-annual "runs" where we can order a supply for the freezer."

You know something though, a *lot* of manufacturing is like that today - not just film or photography products. Sometimes it seasonal based, and sometimes it just exactly the point of where there's enough demand to justify a a once or twice a year run, but not year round.

As for sheet film availability overall, a neat thing happened to me this past weekend at the local camera store - the one that still sells wet darkroom supplies. Not only was there another 4x5 enlarger for sale (3rd one this year), but they told me for the first time in a few years, they had to bring in 8x10 sheet film for a customer. And to top it off, there's actually a 4x5 Arca-Swiss monorail for sale in the window. I haven't seen this much LF gear in that store for 5-6 years.

Yeah I know, it doesn't sound like much, but the point is, 35mm and medium format film & cameras at this store continue to be pushed out by the digital onslaught, but in the midst of all this, they are starting to wonder what kind if or what kind of large format film they should be stocking on a regular basis. As it was, I bought a box of HP5+ in 4x5 off the shelf without having to have it ordered in.

So I think things are looking up.

The only bad news is, prices of used LF gear on Ebay aren't the deal they used to be 4 or 5 years ago.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

It's kind of like running out of hydrocarbons. Someday it's bound to be gone, but we'll just keep using it until it gets too expensive or the alternatives get too good.

Upon the announcement of the Kodak and Ilford positive news, I received a number of e-mails from individuals on this subject indicating that they had seriously considered migrating to a number of ULF formats but held back based upon the fear of being able to acquire film to use in it. However, they said that they were now confortable enough with the situation to make the plunge and naturally, this has created demand for ULF equipment to meet these needs.

I feel that being able to do an annual or semi annual cutting plays to our hand because it is an expensive product to purchase let alone stock. As long as my freezer has film in it, I have a smile on my face.

I believe the upside with LF and ULF from an infrastructural perspective is the potential growth overseas particularly in China.

The Korona camera you made reference to on the auction site appears to be a 5"x12" which I have not seen many of. The format that is currently in vogue is 7x17 which I feel is because of the fact that it is easier to cover with a larger number of lenses that may already be in the hands of 8x10 shooters optimizing their costs to step up to the format.

A number of years ago those easily swayed by negative news within the industry sector were actively selling their ULF equipment while they felt that they could get something out of it before the funeral for conventional film took place. Now I bet they wish that they held on to it as with continued support conventional film will be with us for a very long time.

Cheers!

There are several dealers who are interested in the ULF sizes. These include Freestyle in LA and The View Camera Store. J and C is not the only choice.

steve simmons