Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Horne Feb 2023 8X10 Death Valley

Re: Ben Horne Feb 2023 8X10 Death Valley

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Horne View Post
    I know there are those on this forum that seem to dislike what I do for various reasons, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but it does seem strange to me. I'm a fellow photographer and forum member here since 2009 (though with a different username in my early days) That all being said, the videos are formulaic because they reflect my actual process in the field, and I'm very much a formulaic person. Aren't we all when it comes to large format? The videos reflect my actual experience in the field. They're not something I create for entertainment, or as tutorials. If they were less formulaic, they wouldn't reflect the true experience.

I don't tell other people what to do or how to do things because I see that as talking down to the audience. I simply show the process and explain why I did what I did. As such, I don't consider the clips of me hiking or exploring as "B-Roll" which seems to imply they are just filler. It's all part of the greater story, and my favorite moments in the field are often the ones when I'm exploring and searching for potential subjects. To those who say they want to see more of the photography, well, I record the entire process of taking the photos, which is often very brief. Sure, those moments are fun, but there's far more to these trips than just clicking a shutter. And I also don't understand the comment about picking up trash being "self-congratulatory"? I've visited Death Valley every year since 2009, and every year I pick up quite a few mylar balloons. I pick them up and have kept every single one of them as part of a long-term project to raise awareness of the issues they have on the environment. California recently passed a bill that will ban mylar balloons by 2031. Every fall I spend time cleaning up trash I find alongside the road in Zion not because I'm being "self-congratulatory", but because seeing it there makes it difficult for me to concentrate on photography. It's like trying to get work done on a messy desk. I need a perfectly clean desk before I can have the proper mindset. Picking up trash honestly makes me feel better and allows me to be more productive in the field.
    I watch your videos especially since taking up LF photography three years ago. As I mentioned in my earlier post, photography is the whole process not just clicking the shutter. The whole process is contemplative. I especially like how you determine what and how to photograph a subject. That's the most creative part. Keep up the good work. Alan.

Speaking of cleaning up garbage, I used to Geocache. We had an expression when you hid a cache in the woods. "Cache In, Trash Out" to encourage picking up after others. Maybe we can start one for photography: "Film In, Trash Out".

Ben...while I'll stand by my generalization (not aimed at you specifically) that content creators make sure to provide us with tools with which to "hone in" on specific info., I actually do like your "B-Roll" content...especially as I can indeed relate to this aspect of LF in my own work - and especially lately as I'm getting old enough to sense that my days of schlepping my usual 30 to 40 pounds of gear into the wilderness will come to an end...as even now I'm strategizing each time I go out to minimize my load without too much compromise.

I guess another way to put this (without walking back my original sentiment) is that yes, I do enjoy your experiences vicariously, especially as I've walked in similar shoes for so long, and soon those experiences as shared by you and others will be all I've got. So yeah...keep the B-Rolls in - and many thanks for all that you contribute to others while also finding time for your personal work.

Ben; I enjoy your videos too.

The style is so relaxed, it's more of an escape than an adventure. I can see how some might think the relaxed style is B-roll, when it's all just part of story telling. I visited Death Valley area last fall and the whole area around it is a quiet and relaxing place for an individual photographer, and you showed that well.

I'm on the east coast and used to be fishing every day all summer on a lobster boat. We'd pick up balloons too; they especially don't belong in the ocean. One time in the late 80's we watched a balloon release at a world series game somewhere in the midwest. 2 days later, we were picking up balloons from the ocean that we'd watched released on television.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Ben - my earlier comments are intended to convey my reaction, both positive and negative, to your videos. Based upon the laudatory comments you regularly receive when you post a new video, my critique on this forum is clearly in the minority. For reference, I belong to a local large format group where we regularly show our work. The vast majority of comments I get from fellow members for my portfolio showings are infused with all positive, "great print", statements. While I enjoy the well intended compliments, I am also a realist and can't believe there is no where I could improve - either technically or aesthetically. In other settings, I've appreciated the criticism given in portfolio reviews by total strangers. While some mental and ego bruising is involved, it has ultimately been most helpful. I've appreciated the stimulus to consider and evaluate how my "art" is perceived by an audience - even an audience of one. If being a member of the LFPF means never being critiqued, I would ultimately find that less satisfying than having my status quo challenged from time to time. I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do or how to do things. Since I rarely see you post on LFPF, I wasn't expecting you to even be aware of my comments.

I know there are those on this forum that seem to dislike what I do for various reasons, and I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but it does seem strange to me. I'm a fellow photographer and forum member here since 2009 (though with a different username in my early days) That all being said, the videos are formulaic because they reflect my actual process in the field, and I'm very much a formulaic person. Aren't we all when it comes to large format? The videos reflect my actual experience in the field. They're not something I create for entertainment, or as tutorials. If they were less formulaic, they wouldn't reflect the true experience.

I don't tell other people what to do or how to do things because I see that as talking down to the audience. I simply show the process and explain why I did what I did. As such, I don't consider the clips of me hiking or exploring as "B-Roll" which seems to imply they are just filler. It's all part of the greater story, and my favorite moments in the field are often the ones when I'm exploring and searching for potential subjects. To those who say they want to see more of the photography, well, I record the entire process of taking the photos, which is often very brief. Sure, those moments are fun, but there's far more to these trips than just clicking a shutter. And I also don't understand the comment about picking up trash being "self-congratulatory"? I've visited Death Valley every year since 2009, and every year I pick up quite a few mylar balloons. I pick them up and have kept every single one of them as part of a long-term project to raise awareness of the issues they have on the environment. California recently passed a bill that will ban mylar balloons by 2031. Every fall I spend time cleaning up trash I find alongside the road in Zion not because I'm being "self-congratulatory", but because seeing it there makes it difficult for me to concentrate on photography. It's like trying to get work done on a messy desk. I need a perfectly clean desk before I can have the proper mindset. Picking up trash honestly makes me feel better and allows me to be more productive in the field.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Ben,

Thanks for your contributions here and on youtube. Appreciate you putting your creative process out there. It is inspiring.

All the best,
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo22 View Post
    Ben - my earlier comments are intended to convey my reaction, both positive and negative, to your videos. Based upon the laudatory comments you regularly receive when you post a new video, my critique on this forum is clearly in the minority. For reference, I belong to a local large format group where we regularly show our work. The vast majority of comments I get from fellow members for my portfolio showings are infused with all positive, "great print", statements. While I enjoy the well intended compliments, I am also a realist and can't believe there is no where I could improve - either technically or aesthetically. In other settings, I've appreciated the criticism given in portfolio reviews by total strangers. While some mental and ego bruising is involved, it has ultimately been most helpful. I've appreciated the stimulus to consider and evaluate how my "art" is perceived by an audience - even an audience of one. If being a member of the LFPF means never being critiqued, I would ultimately find that less satisfying than having my status quo challenged from time to time. I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do or how to do things. Since I rarely see you post on LFPF, I wasn't expecting you to even be aware of my comments.
    That all sounds great, but we're not talking about critiquing one's work in a constructive manner in a setting that's conducive to it. It's more akin to a member of the critique group taking it upon themself to speak poorly of a member on the other side of the room. It's not a matter of me not being open to criticism, it's a matter of kindness and respect for fellow photographers and forum members. I don't speak poorly of other people on this forum, yet there is a pattern of people speaking poorly about me. I'm not as active on the forum in recent years because this pattern keeps repeating and I honestly don't understand it.

That all sounds great, but we're not talking about critiquing one's work in a constructive manner in a setting that's conducive to it. It's more akin to a member of the critique group taking it upon themself to speak poorly of a member on the other side of the room. It's not a matter of me not being open to criticism, it's a matter of kindness and respect for fellow photographers and forum members. I don't speak poorly of other people on this forum, yet there is a pattern of people speaking poorly about me. I'm not as active on the forum in recent years because this pattern keeps repeating and I honestly don't understand it.
    It's not limited to those active on this forum. Take a look at this thread I started two days ago:

Pretty pathetic, I'd say. Keep on doing your thing, Ben. The negative voices, here and elsewhere, are best ignored.

Photographing Death Valley, Winter 2023: Episode 6

no link on my purpose

He has added video enhancements

#7 is soon and then the Print
    Tin Can

Interesting and done well.

Watched a few years back with his early Death Valley videos. Could hardly believe the problems he had - that he did not see coming. Like the tripod sinking in a sand dune overnight, tipping the camera into the sand. Or the camera left set up overnight in the hardpan and blowing over, damaging the camera.

From those and moving forward a lot of these mistakes have been corrected and the production values finissed even more.

Thanks for posting them.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.