Thread: Best and affordable 4x5 film scan service provider?

Best and affordable 4x5 film scan service provider?

Can you recommend someone in the USA who excels at scanning color negative 4x5 film and can produce accurate colors?

Who is considered the best in the field, and are there any providers that offer quality results at a reasonable price?

Is drum scanning the only way to achieve high-quality scans, or are there other viable options available?

Re: Best and affordable 4x5 film scanner?

I guess it depends on how high quality you wanna go, how big a print. Drum scanning is always expensive though. I had a few negatives drum scanned by https://www.alexburkephoto.com/drum-scanning, I was very happy with the quality.

It's a continuum -- like most things in life. In this case, "affordable" is on one end and "best" is on the other. Like most people, you want both. Good luck.

Me? I bought a used HP 4890 for $20 because it does 4x5 film nicely.

Indie Photo Lab in Montgomery AL does very nice work. They can scan 4X5 to 8X10 on a high end flatbed and scan up to 4X5 on a Hassleblad Flex Tight for higher resolution.

Re: Best and affordable 4x5 film scan service provider?

When scanning C41, it is difficult to know what corrections to make as a scanner operator. An inverted image that looks too cold to the scanner operator may look too warm to the shooter. It's best to find a place that allows a dialogue between the scanner operator and the client, performing some revisions to the scan until the client is satisfied. I do offer trial scans if anyone would like to send an image to try it out. I have a page about color on my website describing the process of using color targets for E6 scanning, but it is applicable for scanning C41 as well. As the tonal range on a C41 negative is so small (in the eyes of the scanner), it is important that the colors are corrected to be true before the inversion process. A small color inaccuracy before inversion translates into a large variance in the final image.

Quote Originally Posted by LansoirThemtq View Post
    Can you recommend someone in the USA who excels at scanning color negative 4x5 film and can produce accurate colors?

Who is considered the best in the field, and are there any providers that offer quality results at a reasonable price?

Is drum scanning the only way to achieve high-quality scans, or are there other viable options available?
    Silvershack.ca is me , we can offer Phase One scans , when our Eversmart Supreme is fixed we can also offer these flat bed scans.. Located in Toronto Canada. a distant cousin