Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's The Worst That Could Happen?

Re: What's The Worst That Could Happen?

Modern power equipment is much louder than the old belt drive machines. I used to use a 16" rip saw that the only noise it made was the air singing through the blade teeth. My modern table saw has that sound PLUS the high pitched whine of the electric motor. Electric routers are even worse. Given that the photo shows banks of screw machines I doubt it's as loud as could be imagined, but a clatter none the less.
    And yes, I have profound hearing loss, but that's my own fault.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Probably safer than working in many of today's slaughterhouses and meat packing plants. And safer than a lot of the small gyppo logging and milling operations, and might even be safer than being a pro football player.

Maintaining unsafe working conditions saves money...and with little or no regulation, transfers the cost of long-term care of injured workers (unemployment, medical costs, etc) to the public. However the public does get slightly lower prices to slightly off-set those costs.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My grandfather lost his right arm below the elbow in an accident in the Great Northern Shop - probably in Minneapolis - St Paul area. Factories were dangerous.

The Science + Industry Museum in Manchester (UK) has a working textile mill using this technology. During the demo of the working machinery, we were told that if a worker injured themselves on the job, the worker was liable for the cost of any product that was ruined by the worker's blood. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Again

I have VAST experience in very dangerous USA factories

I was on the Inside Factory Medical and Fire FIRST RESPONSE Team

ALL MECHANICS HAD TO BE ON IT

as we knew the machines

I helped in many ways until the OUTSIDE Emergency showed up

Many lost fingers

My last big one was a hyper young man somehow evaded the auto pullout which were chains on both wrists

He got one hand inside the press

He was screaming and trying to run, his big partner had him in a bear hug well off the floor

The hand was pumping blood and all skin gone on 4 fingers

I saw this from inches

1 year later he was back on the same machine

This is very common

and still running in Skokie IL
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Probably shot with a wide angle with a maximum aperture of f11 or 16. Shots like that had to be posed and all equipment shut down and a pretty long exposure. From being in some old factories there was a lot of really nice light though. Skylights and north facing windows provided a lot of the light.

I’m amazed at the beautiful tones in the print.

I’ve been on shoots in a lot of industrial environments where a lot of machining equipment was operating. What struck me was the potential for serious accidents. A sleeve, tie or hair caught in those machines and you’d be finished. Obviously no OSHA at that time ��.
    I was an engineer in a manufacturing facility in the 1980s. Lots of spinning equipment. Ties required. After the first year, I decided I’d rather lose my job than my neck, and stopped wearing one. Boss wasn’t happy, but he got over it.

Drew Wiley

Survived? In some sections of the Ford plant, like where the lacquer finishes were hand-applied, the labor lasted only six months before "debilitated retirement for life without pay". My first job in this area was delivering bulk DuPont finishes to furniture factories. Many of the workers were missing some fingers or even a hand before they reached 25. And this was the most strictly "enforced" OSHA and labor union part of the county! Within walking distance of where I later worked, I can recall at least six huge cabinet shops or wood furniture factories literally blowing up due to safety violations. They wanted labor that didn't ask questions. On three occasions, those events shook buildings in the area worse than a large earthquake.

But ties around machinery? Anathema. Good way to get pulled in. In our shop, we didn't even allow wedding rings to be worn during heavy machinery operation - potentially the difference between a nick and half your hand getting ripped off.

I grew up near a logging mill. Up in the woods, tree topping was the most dangerous role. But in the mill itself, about every six months someone would be wearing clothing too loose, get snagged by the "green chain", and pulled right through the "gang saws". Fatal would be an understatement. But even the big highly automated mills up in redwood country also had their horrendous accidents, even in fully computerized times, too gross to recite here.

How do they perform maintenance on the machinery when they are all running on the same ceiling shaft? Do you have to shut down the whole floor if a belt needs changing or slips off? I'd bet maintenance could be more dangerous than operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    and still running in Skokie IL
    Yep. But now it is called “DRiV”. I go past frequently going from Chicago to Evanston on McCormick.

Eric Woodbury

My uncle worked around open gears. By the time he died, he could only count to 7.