Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made Technika boards out of wood?

Has anyone made Technika boards out of wood?

I was thinking of making a lens board for my Technika out of wood (cause I'm cheap). Has anyone done this, and if so, what type of wood did you use?

Thought I would ask this before taking a gander at what Home Depot has that might work. Looking for ideas.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Re: Has anyone made Technika boards out of wood?

Yes, I've built a few using 3mm plywood.

Once you sort out the circular cutting drill sizing you need, the only other tools you really need are some sandpaper, a good thick steel rule and a very sharp cutting knife.

Using the very sharp cutting knife, you draw a tiny cut first, followed by another tiny cut in the same slit and keep doing this until you are through.

Some sanding in various parts to fit inside correctly, and you're home and hosed.

You can paint the inside with black paint, or use a felt tipped pen; both work.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning to start with a slightly smaller hole and then finishing it off with a dremel tool.

Do you need to bevel the edges where the board seats in the bottom retainers?

Nicholas O. Lindan

I have built lensboards by laminating the cardboard found on the back of a pad of paper or from a cereal box. I cut the hole for the lens in each of the laminates before they get glued together. and then touch up the resultant lens hole with a coarse file after laminating. I laminate the cardboard with contact cement to get to the required thickness. I paint it black with a magic marker and then apply varnish!shellac|Krylon to keep the dust down and keep the cardboard from fraying.

Can't get much cheaper. I'm still using boards I made 30 years ago. Cardboard is a very underappreciated material - it can be used to build things that last.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    I have built lensboards by laminating the cardboard found on the back of a pad of paper or from a cereal box. I cut the hole for the lens in each of the laminates before they get glued together. and then touch up the resultant lens hole with a coarse file after laminating. I laminate the cardboard with contact cement to get to the required thickness. I paint it black with a magic marker and then apply varnish!shellac|Krylon to keep the dust down and keep the cardboard from fraying.

Can't get much cheaper. I'm still using boards I made 30 years ago. Cardboard is a very underappreciated material - it can be used to build things that last.
    Excellent! I'm in the habit of saving those pad backing boards to make things. Hadn't thought about laminating them to make them stronger. Still a little suspicious about current day materials for strength and flatness (everything is getting skimpier these days to save cost), but easy enough to try.

Thanks again.

I have made three or four Technika-style boards out of Masonite (mine was from the back of an old picture frame). The nice thing about Masonite is that it is layered. You can score the surface and peel off strips of about one mm, enabling you to make indentations for clips, edges and the center lens-mounting area, leaving the rest thicker for strength. A cardboard cut-out glued on the back can provide the circular light trap. Mine were "painted" black with permanent marker. I even have a 50mm extended board made from Masonite for my Nikkor M 300mm so I can use it on my cameras with only 300mm of bellows draw.

Best,

Doremus

Most of mine are made of Finnish (not finish) plywood.
    Last edited by Jim Noel; 23-Mar-2023 at 11:44. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I have made three or four Technika-style boards out of Masonite (mine was from the back of an old picture frame). The nice thing about Masonite is that it is layered. You can score the surface and peel off strips of about one mm, enabling you to make indentations for clips, edges and the center lens-mounting area, leaving the rest thicker for strength. A cardboard cut-out glued on the back can provide the circular light trap. Mine were "painted" black with permanent marker. I even have a 50mm extended board made from Masonite for my Nikkor M 300mm so I can use it on my cameras with only 300mm of bellows draw.

Best,

Doremus
    The only thing I don't like about masonite is the rough surface on one side. If they both had the smooth surface it would be ideal. I made a board from it once, and it actually worked fine, but it would need some additional work to do that.

I am still buying Taiwan

Waiting on Sinar adapters for Intrepid
    Tin Can

This is a rough and ready picture taken on my desk a few seconds ago, a 3mm plywood lens board cut out with a knife, including at the top the recessed bit for the sliding lens board clamp.

I did it as an interim measure, but that was around 15 years ago....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens_Board_Wood_210mm_IMG_20230324_090953.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	237074