Thread: 8x10 Camera Repair

Question 8x10 Camera Repair

I am looking for a good repair person to fix my Ebony 810r. I believe I have bent the front standard plate that controls the swing and tilts. I am located in Canada but any suggestion would be appreciated Thank you Trig

Re: Camera Repair

I once had friend with an 8x10 camera with a similar front standard to your Ebony's that took a fall and bent up the front in a few places. Fortunately none of the knobs were broken. He lent me the bent up front standard. I took it all apart and using a small vice with duct tape on the clamps, to prevent scratches. Spent a few evenings very, very slowly straightening the parts out using a pair of pliers with also duct tape on them to prevent scratches. I consistently replaced the pieces of duct tape every time I re-clamped the piece(s) in the vice. I also used a metal straight edge to judge my progress on straightening the parts. Patience was the key and also re-bending the metal ever so, so slightly each time. Earned me a fine bottle of Bourbon in the end as thanks. Memory makes me think that it was a Deardorff, but it could have been an Ebony... Deardorff and Ebony standards are very similar as I recall and he just loaned to me the front standard to repair.

Thank you for your reply. The Ebony has titanium fittings so I wonder if I can get it back into shape. Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I once had friend with an 8x10 camera with a similar front standard to your Ebony's that took a fall and bent up the front in a few places. Fortunately none of the knobs were broken. He lent me the bent up front standard. I took it all apart and using a small vice with duct tape on the clamps, to prevent scratches. Spent a few evenings very, very slowly straightening the parts out using a pair of pliers with also duct tape on them to prevent scratches. I consistently replaced the pieces of duct tape every time I re-clamped the piece(s) in the vice. I also used a metal straight edge to judge my progress on straightening the parts. Patience was the key and also re-bending the metal ever so, so slightly each time. Earned me a fine bottle of Bourbon in the end as thanks. Memory makes me think that it was a Deardorff, but it could have been an Ebony... Deardorff and Ebony standards are very similar as I recall and he just loaned to me the front standard to repair.

I'd ask Richard Ritter... www.lg4mat.net.
    A camera builder and repairman, but most importantly, a true craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I'd ask Richard Ritter... www.lg4mat.net.
    A camera builder and repairman, but most importantly, a true craftsman.
    This is my recommendation too, Richard has done excellent work for me.

Roger

Thank you both very much. Much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post

Roger
    And me as well, including shipping from Canada.

You will need to sort out with Customs that you are sending it for repairs, so that you only pay relevant HST and customs on the repair to the camera, and not for the whole camera itself....

Re: 8x10 Camera Repair

Ritter!

Be patient this the busy season
    Tin Can

Re: 8x10 Camera Repair

thanks everyone...... !