Thread: Pentax zone V lightmeter

Pentax zone V lightmeter

Just found by accident a good pentax zone V lightmeter.
    Before buying I have a question, It wil a spare one, can I store this without battery for … months, years ?

Re: Pentax zone V lightmeter

I have a Zone VI modified Soligor Spot Sensor II that has been in storage for about 40 years and, just recently, I put a battery in it just to see if it still worked. Doesn't agree exactly with my Zone VI modified Pentax Digital Spot meter, but the needle moves and it seems to work.

Patrick...sometimes I do think that Fred P. ought to have named his business "Zone V"...both in the spirit of a nice (and proper! says Fred) middle gray, and perhaps just a tad more "politically correct." (in quotes...to fend off the ding-meister )

A bit later, feeling more helpful - Patrick, you should be able to store this with no battery, but you probably ought to test it first to see where its at...and then test it periodically (once per year?). Also, be sure to inspect the battery contacts carefully and, if necessary, clean them before storage. Try to store in a dry place, or maybe in a ziplock bag with a packet of silica gel.

[QUOTE=
    A bit later, feeling more helpful - Patrick, you should be able to store this with no battery, but you probably ought to test it first to see where its at...and then test it periodically (once per year?). Also, be sure to inspect the battery contacts carefully and, if necessary, clean them before storage. Try to store in a dry place, or maybe in a ziplock bag with a packet of silica gel.[/QUOTE]
    John, this is a good tip, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    Just found by accident a good pentax zone V lightmeter.
    Before buying I have a question, It wil a spare one, can I store this without battery for … months, years ?
    yes!

I once read that before storing items that were battery operated to put a bit of Antioxidant paste (used for Aluminum wire connections I believe), also called Dielectric Grease/Lubricant?, on the contacts and wipe it off but not completely. I actually have done this for years on my photo equipment that uses batteries.... never had a problem with corrosion on the contacts, but not sure that was the reason or I have been just very lucky.