Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider SYMMAR 300mm f/5.6/500mm f/12 Convertible

Schneider SYMMAR 300mm f/5.6/500mm f/12 Convertible

Schneider SYMMAR 300mm f/5.6/500mm f/12 Convertible

Any info for this lens???

Found it after asking around for 8x10 lens and only found this for a good prices...sooo any good or bad words for this lens ??

it is the electronic compur #3-works perfect- batteries modified, glass is in mint condition !!

Re: Schneider SYMMAR 300mm f/5.6/500mm f/12 Convertible

The "convertible" Symmar lenses were made from the middle '50s until around 1972. They are fine lenses; I used several on the job years ago. You remove the front group to convert the lens to 500mm. That will require more than 500mm of bellows extension to focus, and the general opinion is that the long focal length is not as sharp as the complete optic. I would say "try it and see". The ones I used had standard Compur shutters, if the electronic Compur works, that's great.
    Enjoy using your lens, and share some photos with us when you have some. Best of luck!

I have one with a normal shutter

Keeper!
    Tin Can

nice to hear good words for the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    The "convertible" Symmar lenses were made from the middle '50s until around 1972. They are fine lenses; I used several on the job years ago. You remove the front group to convert the lens to 500mm. That will require more than 500mm of bellows extension to focus, and the general opinion is that the long focal length is not as sharp as the complete optic. I would say "try it and see". The ones I used had standard Compur shutters, if the electronic Compur works, that's great.
    Enjoy using your lens, and share some photos with us when you have some. Best of luck!
    I had to use a G_Claron 210mm f/9 as a 420mm in a pinch by removing the rear element but stopped down - and on 6x9 and it would work !!!!

Symmar F5.6 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 15-Mar-2023 at 04:20.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Symmar F5.6 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Thank you for the datasheet on the lens !!!
    I had it back-wards so the front element is removed ??!!!!! [#%&% had it wrong all this time @@#$%^&!!!!!!!]

OK since I on the subject of the lens, the compur #3 can take on which other lens elements???

thanks ...

Quote Originally Posted by joho View Post
    OK since I on the subject of the lens, the compur #3 can take on which other lens elements???
    I have this lens - it is in a Compound #3 (not a Compur) - see the asterisk (*) and note on the data sheet.

I got it to use as a long lens on my Canham woody... (I've not used it yet). These convertible Symmars often get a bad rap for sharpness at the edges when converted but I wonder, as the coverage for this size is given as 8x10, whether it might be quite acceptable on 5x4.

(Hopefully I will find out before too long... )

5x7 TLR Norma 300mm Symmar matched pair by Nokton48, on Flickr

Matched Pair Sinar Norma 300mm f5.6 chrome Symmars 5x7/13x18cm TLR Norma camera great for portraiture. 4x5 Reducing Backs and Reflex Viewfinder make it true TLR. I'm leaving this camera set up in the studio. New canvas background from David Maheu like it "Tim Kelly Gold Plaster" 80x80cm Broncolor C171 monolight Main at F22. Silver fill panel large circular just off camera right as close as possible so simple classic commercial strobe lighting that makes most things look good. BTW I bought this second lens from Igor Reznik for a very reasonable price last year. So I have auto aperture control both taking lens and viewing lens, as good as I can get it. I have seen several prominent Hollywood Glamour Photographers selling off these same type of Norma. Great for action photography, you can view as you expose the film
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Fine Art & Architect

I have a Symmar 355/620 lens. it's big. weighs 4 lbs. same deal. take off front element and becomes a 620 mm. has a copal No. 3 shutter. good lens. thinking of selling it if anyone interested.