Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Print Washer - medium and super size

Re: Print Washer - medium and super size

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    And that the weight of the print doesn't cause stretching.....

How many of these prints do you make at a time? My guess is: not too many.

To conserve water, how about making rigid trays? To keep the print off of the bottom, you could put in window screens, route a texture in the bottom of the tray, put epoxy or silicone dots on the bottom, or..... You could build a frame to hold multiple trays, one above the other. Put in a drain valve at one end, and slop the trays slightly towards the drain. Put water in the tray. Put the print face up in the tray. Now, put another tray on top.... This way, you can get each of the prints soaking in water. Once all the prints are in, drain each of the tanks and replace the water, kinda like the Ilford method for washing film. I expect this method could be much more water efficient than using a traditional vertical washer. When you're not using it, you could break it down and store the trays vertically to save space.
    Hi Peter, I do not have the sink space for this , I do about 4 negatives a day with three 30 x 40 prints of each so I need to wash 12 prints, putting them back to back in 6 slots can accomodate this easily, see Micheals note above , not a bad idea I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Very observant thought, rods with clips would work very well as you suggest, I will admit I like the idea of six slot but yes a open box with flowing water and bottom release with rods would indeed work , I think paper handling would be the only issue, I hang prints in large gumbichromate now with clips on wire now and it can get clumsy or HANDSY which can maybe harm the paper.
    For sure it's a little fiddly hanging the paper. Best would be to make sure the rods don't flex, use several clips along the edge of the paper, and have it all suspended below water level. It would definitely make fabrication easier without slots, otherwise for slots, what Drew recommended is easiest/least costly especially for DIY - ie build the slots out by gluing or solvent welding guides rather than routing/machining slots. Adding material is always easier than removing. The dividers of course don't need to be heavy/thick like the tank walls.

I've never worked with paper anywhere near that size so don't have experience vertical-washing that big, but what made me think of hanging the paper was that I wonder if the paper can support itself free-standing in a slot without some part of it possibly curving toward the wall/divider and making contact, inhibiting washing. Never tried it.

Anyway just some thoughts.

Hi Bob, don't use it in the sink! Build a frame that can roll around on the floor. I'm not good with Sketchup, or I'd draw it. Maybe I'll have time on Friday. So, have two frame towers. Think Tower Bridge in London. I'd make then out of wood, something like 2x2" hardwood. Have them on castors. You could put board between through the towers to act as shelves, setting the trays on the boards. 4 high wouldn't be too bad. If you built screen inserts, wither with pvc, stainless rod, or....? You could use the screens to move the prints. Once you drain the trays, the screen could be used as drying racks.....You don't need a huge tub of water to do efficient washing.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Bob, it occurs to me perhaps you don't need dividers/compartments. Just thinking out loud but for paper that large wouldn't it possibly be safer to suspend the prints in the washer from the top anyway (ie hang them with clips or whatever)?...
    My Inglis washer came with a piece that fits over its dividers to hold down prints as they wash. This is necessary because, as they diffuse out more chemicals, many (most, in my experience) fiber base papers float up. In my Summitek washer, the dividers plus Kodak dental x-ray clips constrain prints from rising above the water line. Without dividers, prints in a large washer would most likely float against each other or the tank's sides.

How about clipping a few little weights to the bottom of the prints? (like weighted roll film clips for example)

I bet that Inglis washer is pretty cool. I have a small Inglis 4x5 film washer and one of his pin registration systems. He was a good guy and made some interesting darkroom products.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    My Inglis washer came with a piece that fits over its dividers to hold down prints as they wash. This is necessary because, as they diffuse out more chemicals, many (most, in my experience) fiber base papers float up. In my Summitek washer, the dividers plus Kodak dental x-ray clips constrain prints from rising above the water line. Without dividers, prints in a large washer would most likely float against each other or the tank's sides.

Drew Wiley

Washing them in a swimming pool? Wonder how many people have swimming pools in their yards in Toronto? I wouldn't be surprised if Butcher loses a print or even a finger from time to time to a gator in that pool. Welcome to Florida.

How about clipping a few little weights to the bottom of the prints? (like weighted roll film clips for example)...
    Viability of that approach would likely depend on rate and pattern of water flow through the tank. It still might drive sheets into contact with each other.

...I bet that Inglis washer is pretty cool. I have a small Inglis 4x5 film washer and one of his pin registration systems. He was a good guy and made some interesting darkroom products.
    Indeed. I haven't used that washer much lately, given the dearth of current glossy fiber-base papers that don't send me running away with their excessive shininess when air dried. However, I bought it specifically for washing the 8x10 Azo in my stash, which is single-weight and tended to stick to the Summitek's dividers. Alistair used textured dividers. I'm about to break out the Azo and tailor some digital negatives to its (the last batch Kodak made) "unique" curve.

Hi Bob

NOVA still do a 20x24 vertical print washer - https://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/...Washmaster-ECO

They may also have one in their clearance corner - https://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/...ware-clearance

They ship worldwide too.

As for the huge one that you want - good luck - do you know any stainless steel fabricators ?

Martin

Look at the print baskets from the old days. One can only imagine the tanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (39).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	237512

Lol the big one takes 22 40”x96” prints. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Look at the print baskets from the old days. One can only imagine the tanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (39).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	237512