Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filters on Fujinon 90mm

Re: Filters on Fujinon 90mm

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I always use a step up ring and oversize filters on wide angles to avoid any chance of vignetting.
    +1

Filters on Fujinon 90mm

Also note that different filters have different ring thicknesses, some are slim some are not…. So experiences from folks here may not be applicable unless you match the brand/model…
    If you are considering using filters I’d suggest you invest right away in a 100mm square filter system (several options out there… and filters of a wide range of prices and quality…. Most of them inter-compatible). Almost guaranteed otherwise you’ll end up buying screw on filters of various sizes over time as you increase the number of lenses you own…. Also you can go up to 3 and in some systems 4 filters before you’re maxed out.

Thanks for all input.

Mick - great info, thanks for doing this.

Paul/Rick - yeah I think I would go with the step up ring. Think 67 to 72 is too little difference? Still vignetting issues with two filters and movements?

Kiwi - Thanks for heads up on ring depth, good point. Thought about screw on vs square system. I use square nd glass filters, so have the Lee 100 system. Now I want color glass filters for b/w, and biggest issue is that I can't seem to find any, except for the very pricey Tiffen 4x4. The rest I can find in 4x4 is polyester or resin, but even there the output seems to be limited, only Cokin available? Screw on seems to be the only way to get good glass without spending a lot of money, but open for square option if there is b/w contrast filters to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Wik View Post
    Thanks for all input.

Mick - great info, thanks for doing this.

Paul/Rick - yeah I think I would go with the step up ring. Think 67 to 72 is too little difference? Still vignetting issues with two filters and movements?

Kiwi - Thanks for heads up on ring depth, good point. Thought about screw on vs square system. I use square nd glass filters, so have the Lee 100 system. Now I want color glass filters for b/w, and biggest issue is that I can't seem to find any, except for the very pricey Tiffen 4x4. The rest I can find in 4x4 is polyester or resin, but even there the output seems to be limited, only Cokin available? Screw on seems to be the only way to get good glass without spending a lot of money, but open for square option if there is b/w contrast filters to be had.
    This is all depending on your expectations but years ago after replacing expensive glass filters with these resin ones, I wasn’t able to tell any difference in sharpness or image quality:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1292187-REG

I’ve also switched to resin NDs and graduated filters and again I can’t tell the difference with a magnifying loupe on the negatives… Looking for expensive glass for filters to me has proven to be snake oil. The only time I think it matters what you put in front of your lens is to avoid flares.

If you have a resin filter you could try yourself… with and without and see if you see any quality degradation…

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Wik View Post
    I standardized on 77mm. That's mainly because of my RB67 days, but 77mm filters are easy to get, have a super selection, and about the same price as 72mm. PLUS, I have quite a few lenses that have 77mm filter threads!!!

So I use my Fujinon NSW 90mm f8 with a 67mm UV filter and a step-up ring to 77mm and never had a problem with multiple filters -- but I've never gone crazy with movements either.

Drew Wiley

The next very common filter size above 67mm is 72, then 77, then 82. 105 is way out there beyond the rings of Saturn. Good resin filters often cost MORE than coated glass, and are more sensitive, more electrostatic, and more reflective. But you could try filterfind.net, who has quite a bit of discounted high quality resin in stock.

I have 77mm filters from my Mamiya RB67 medium format camera. All its lenses take 77mm filters. So I added step up adapters on each of my three 4x5 lenses that gives me less chance for vignetting and no need to buy additional filters. Of course, my 90mm Nikkor f4.5, a fourth lens with a Schneider center filter, requires a 105mm filter. So I haven't bit the bullet for contrast or polarizing filters for it yet.

Filters on Fujinon 90mm

And that’s the eternal story with screw on filters. One keeps buying and buying as new lens are acquired. The square filter system is what stops it so the sooner one jumps into it the better off financially.

Plus you don’t get to enjoy graduated filters with screw ons…

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    And that’s the eternal story with screw on filters. One keeps buying and buying as new lens are acquired.
    That hasn't happened to me -- or Alan, who also standardized on 77mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    ..my 90mm Nikkor f4.5, a fourth lens with a Schneider center filter, requires a 105mm filter. So I haven't bit the bullet for contrast or polarizing filters for it yet.
    Is there a law in New Jersey against putting the CND filter on last? I wouldn't be surprised. There's a law in Colorado against transporting prairie dogs across County lines. Fortunately, I haven't been caught yet.