Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikkor T-ED 800/1200mm specs

Question Nikkor T-ED 800/1200mm specs

i managed to find quite a nice deal on set of the Nikkor T-ED lenses, 800 & 1200mm rear element sets.
    I currently have a Gibellini ACN810, which I believe has a bellows extension of +/-600mm.
    I sort of purchased the lens on impulse as they're quite hard to find in my experience and I knew I'd regret letting a nearly complete set slip by, so here we are.

My main concern is, I can't find the specs for the focus at infinity for either rear element and I'm worried I now may be facing a cross-country trip with a lens I cant use without buying a new camera or modifying my Gibellini in some way which I doubt Alessandro recommends. I preemptively ordered the Copal 3 lens board as well so it would be here around the same time as the lens so at least there's that.

However until the lens is here in person I'm at a stopping point on planning for this trip on terms of locations to visit.

Re: Nikkor T-ED 800/1200mm specs

Telephoto design lenses typically need 2/3 of their nominal focal length to reach infinity focus. The 800mm should reach infinity at about 535 - 540mm bellows extension, so this lens will work. The 1200mm set will need about 800mm bellows extension. If your camera accepts a Linhof Technika lens board via an adapter, I may have a top hat board for you. These lenses are not lightweight at about 1.5 kilos each. The lens will be cantilevered over the front standard. I am not familiar with your camera. Is it strong enough to accept this lens with a top hat board?

Kumar

Edit: Nikon's literature says the Flange Focal Distance for the 800mm is 527.4mm and the 1200mm is 755.7mm.

Hey Kumar,

The front standard has small plastic stops that can lock the tilt of the lens board. So I believe a top hat lensboard might work. It also appears that Gibellini uses a sinar standard for their lens boards.
    Last edited by jesse1996; 11-Mar-2023 at 02:32. Reason: updated information

I don't know what format you are using, or details on these Nikkors, but telephoto lenses usually have very narrow angles of coverage -- ex. 25°. That's OK for 4x5, but not for larger formats.

Nikkor T-ED 800/1200mm specs

Coverage is tight for 8x10 but works with minimal movements.
    Details here:

https://www.kennethleegallery.com/pd...rmatLenses.pdf

I'm assuming when it says "flange focal distance" that means when focused at infinity, thats how far the flange is from the film plane? If that's the case I need to find a somewhat economical way of pushing the flange out a further 120mm or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Coverage is tight for 8x10 but works with minimal movements.
    Details here:

https://www.kennethleegallery.com/pd...rmatLenses.pdf
    Nikon's specifications are very conservative. In practice, the 800mm and 1200mm lenses both cover 11x14. I own the Nikkor-T ED 360/500/720mm set and in my practical testing the 500mm covers 6½x8½ and the 720mm covers 8x10 both with modest movement.

Consider the weight of that lens. I once bought one and tried it out on my Toyo 810M. They are very heavy, and quite frankly not the sharpest tool in the shed so I sold it on eBay. I asked the buyer what camera he intended to use it on and he told me an Intrepid 8X10. I told him it was too heavy for that camera, but he knew all about it an assured me I was wrong. Later he tried to return the lens but I would not accept it, so he had to sell it to someone else.

If it takes Sinar boards, that's a huge plus for you. You can find or make top hat boards for Sinar quite easily as they are plentiful. Telephoto 8x10 is fun but challenging but fruitful. Helps to have an assistant. Look up Reinhart Wolf, and his large coffee table books. They will juice you up on the idea. My fave is "NEW YORK" but also appreciate "VILLAS OF THE VENETO" and "CASTLES IN SPAIN". Inspirational stuff. Wolf was a perfectionist. He was also a Master of Photography and award winning Art Director at "STERN" a German version of LIFE Magazine.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1996 View Post
    I'm assuming when it says "flange focal distance" that means when focused at infinity, thats how far the flange is from the film plane? If that's the case I need to find a somewhat economical way of pushing the flange out a further 120mm or so.
    A five inch "top hat" is pretty substantial -- and makes the weight/lens alignment problem of the front standard much worse. I use a 2" "top hat" for my 600mm -- which is not very heavy -- but it takes some serious maneuvering to adjust things correctly.