Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: eTone JOBO Processing Unit: Any Good?

Re: eTone JOBO Processing Unit: Any Good?

Good points. Right now I'm using 5x7 Paterson trays to catch inevitable spillage. I suspect something can be worked out to waterproof.

3012 Metric 9x12cm JOBO Film Drum on Unicolor Uniroller by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

If that is a Unicolor base, I used the same for many years. I used to surround mine with sponges.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If that is a Unicolor base, I used the same for many years. I used to surround mine with sponges.
    Yep I have a few Unirollers around. Good to have spares. They will spin the loaded down Multitank 4/5 2500 JOBOS, but it's a bit of a strain. Definitely works venerable olde hobby grade stuff. Easy to clean out, I've removed the interior lever for continuous on one of mine. Olde eight reel Patersons can leak quite a bit, trays catch bad spillage. Bad leakers get weeded out. Recently I bought a couple of eight reel Patersons, they don't leak. Nor do JOBOS

― Mark Twain

ETONE Developing Tank Automatic Roller 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's spinning the Etone Developing Tank Automatic Roller with the Extension Rail (optional) attached for big tank. Works GOOD with my new (unused) Paterson eight reel tank. Motor spins robustly and has strong torque. This will be useful although I am disappointed it won't fit JOBO Multi Tank Four and Multi Tank Five, which I use for 18 shot 6.5x9cm at a go. So I'll use this roller with my new long Patersons. I'm also investigating using large format insert reels with this, there are many varietys on Ebay to choose from. I did buy a 3D printed reel from Mexico, seems well made will try it soon.

ETONE Developing Tank Automatic Roller2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

With the rollers adjusted this will strongly run a two 120 sized Paterson reel and with this tank no leakage. Seems like it might work OK so we will see. I'm glad I picked this up I need to get going with these Paterson tanks.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 12-Apr-2023 at 09:09.

― Mark Twain

ETONE Developing Tank Automatic Roller3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've reconfigured the pulleys that move the drum, and now it's reliably spinning both directions 1500cc of water, in my JOBO Multitank5. Three 2502 sheet film reels are inside, so I can run eighteen 2x3" or 6.5x9cm film sheets. So this becomes 100X more useful to me since it runs reliably metric sized European film, of which have a lot of. This JOBO lid leaks, a Paterson Plastic Lid catches all the chemical spillage well. So now I'm ready to spin a run of 120 roll film, as soon as I load it up. The angle iron piece bolted on the end, keeps the bigger Mutitank6 from walking off of the roller. It works!
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 20-Apr-2023 at 06:02.

― Mark Twain

Yesterday I ran 8 rolls of 120 B&W, in my JOBO Multitank 6. Went perfectly, with 1500cc of D23, development time was 23 minutes at 65F. The Etone unit works very well, and it does have more motor torque than the Unicolor Unirollers, which sound to me like they are straining with some of the big tanks. So a new good way to run the JOBOs. Development looks even to me, no issues or marks. And for the price this is not a bad deal at all. No spillage just a few drops to deal with; none dripped onto the unit so that's good. Overall I'm pleased with this thing.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'd be worried chemistry and water would foul the electronics. Looks like it was designed by someone who never processed film before and thinks it is done in a 'dry' environment.
    Those who have them, I'm curious how they hold up. Are they waterproofed?
    They are not waterproof by any means, but seem workable enough in a darkroom sink if you take care to avoid a lot of loose moisture. That also seems to be about par for Jobo and earlier rolls like Unicolor, etc.

180mm f5.6 GX680 Peco Jr Makina 6.5x9cm PanF+ D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing long rail Plaubel Peco Junior with Fuji GX680 180mm f5.6 Yellow Filter Ilford PanF+ Plaubel Makina Film Back. D23 1:1 JOBO Multitank 6 Etone Tank Roller, Omega DII Omegalite 180mm black Rodagon laser aligned. Arista #2 RC paper Dektol 1:2. I like this new Plaubel Mini-Me View Camera. It is FUN to use; the homemade Makina rotating Viewfinder works great; I can see the camera movements, focus or not focus, on the tiny screen. This lens passes it's initial test

Shell Peco Jr 180mm f5.6 Fuji GX680 PanF+ D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Plaubel Peco Junior 180mm F5.6 Fuji GX680 Ilford PanF+ Plaubel Makina Film Back D23 1:1 JOBO Multitank6 Etone Tank Roller Omega DII 180mm black Rodagon laser aligned Arista #2 RC Dektol 1:2. Broncolor C200 Monolight Broncolor Octobox 150 Foamcore Fill Panel. Tim Layton digital background (printed at Sam's Club) on FOBA Sweep Table. Used a lot of camera movements to get the tines sharp as was possible.

― Mark Twain

I think unirollers and beseler motor bases are still available for much cheaper? Except for being new, are there any real benefits to these versus a uniroller? I read timer and buzzer but I don't think those are really needed. The timer can be a negative because I think if you're not actively paying attention and it stops, you'll have uneven developing issues if it stops in that position for too long. Just curious. Thanks

The Etone has considerably more torque, my Uniroller STRAINS (the motor makes a straining noise to my ears) when I spin a fully loaded JOBO or Paterson tank. But it works and just keeps going and going and going....

As far as the Etone stopping for a second before reversing, I think it's going to be a non-issue for me. Film looks just fine to me. My first run was 27 minute developing time no problemo. Set the Gralab and walk away

I'm keeping my three Unicolor Unirollers, they work great with the Unicolor Print Drums (both film and big fibre paper). The Etone works better with 2500 series JOBO and eight reel Paterson Multitanks. As far as how it holds up we will see. For now I am satisfied.

I have a Uniroller I bought in the eighties, has $25 written on it in sharpie marker. In today's money that's more; I just bought another one for $50 last year, whhich seems to be the average.

You get what you pay for IMO; few choices are available

The instructions that came with it are in Chinese. LOL But.... There is a YOUTUBE I have seen that explains how to change the programming. Right now I don't need to change anything. I'm satisfied and can make this work OK for my uses. And I still have my Unirollers

With my setup it plugs straight in my Gralab Timer, the readout stays at "30" whatever that means. Not changing anything works as is.

― Mark Twain