Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New printer - Epson ??

Re: New printer - Epson ??

Lots of ‘fun’ with the Belgium postoffice.
    The printer should have been delivered today at my door, but the postal office decided to deliver it at there depot. This is almost not reachable by car.
    The size and the weight are enough. So I did a phone call where I bought it online, they were not happy. The printer goes back to them and re-shipped to my house (hopefully).
    And tomorrow there is a national strike, so perhaps next week …

My Epson 2880 produced about 6000 prints, mostly 8.5x11, but perhaps a hundred up to 16x20. It gave very few problems until head strikes with Epson Exhibition Fiber paper with edges slightly curved up finished it off. My present P800 has printed 3701 sheets (5323 A2 equivalent prints) with no problems. Only Epson inks and software were used, and usually Epson paper. If this Epson doesn't last the rest of my life, Epson would likely be my next choice.

I won't speak to print quality/appearance, but my experience echos Jim's. I bought an Epson 3800 that is still serving me well. It has made 4489 prints and, based on when the 3880 came out, is at least 13 years old. It has clogged badly a time or two (when I went well over 6 months without turning it on - shame on me!), but each time a power cleaning brought it back to life.

A couple years ago a friend gave me his 3800, which I have loaded up with Piezography inks. I do have more clogging problems than I care for with the darkest (high density black) ink, but no problems with the other inks. That printer has made 6761 prints.

And I have a second friend who has had his 3800 for a couple years longer than I have had mine, and it is still going strong.

This is a small sample, but it seems to indicate that the longevity of Epson printers is pretty good.

I've had my Epson 3880 for at least 10+ years and use it less than I should, but it's still going strong. My concerns are occasional paper edge head strikes, especially with glossy or curled paper, but it's not time to replace it yet. I just replaced two ink cartridges that had been installed in 2017.

One feature I will look for in the replacement is printing panoramic shots longer than 2 feet in length, which I think will rule out switching to Canon.

The Canon pro-200 has arrived, so time to do some tests with Pictorino transparency film for my digital negatives.
    Got about 1 inch free on the shelf where the printer sits, glad I measured it all.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    The Canon pro-200 has arrived, so time to do some tests with Pictorino transparency film for my digital negatives.
    Got about 1 inch free on the shelf where the printer sits, glad I measured it all.
    Indeed, it was released Nov of 2020. Im eyeing it myself to replace my pro-100, but the pro-100 is not giving any reason to do so since it’s working great even after a lot of years.

I also have an epson 3880 which is connected to a smart switch to turn on once/week for 15 min. Avoids all the nozzle clogging issues I’ve had before. But the Canon, never ever failed to print perfectly even one time aftera whole year without printing.

I'm glad that some people have had good luck with inkjet printers. Alas, I have not, and I've tried 5, including two professional models. Yes, I printed regularly....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    The Canon pro-200 has arrived, so time to do some tests with Pictorino transparency film for my digital negatives...
    A reminder, if those digital negatives will be used with gelatin silver paper, I pointed out how unacceptably grainy (to me) the Pictorico transparency film is. Use the Pctorico Pro Hi-Gloss White Film instead:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...I tried the transparency film version

with my Epson P600 and found it useless for making digital negatives to print on silver gelatin paper. Far too much inherent graininess in the film. Never bothered using it in the Canon PRO-100 for that reason. Today I make digital negatives for silver gelatin using the white film version

which, although it soaks up a lot of light, has no visible texture. It reportedly was designed for dye inks, and I've never used it in any printer but the PRO-100. Excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    A reminder, if those digital negatives will be used with gelatin silver paper, I pointed out how unacceptably grainy (to me) the Pictorico transparency film is. Use the Pctorico Pro Hi-Gloss White Film instead:
    I wonder if this is somewhat dependent on your printer and the printer settings? I have printed digital negatives for silver gelatin on an Epson 1430 with Pictorico and you really only notice the grain if you get very very close to the print. Of course my 1430 has been converted to PiezoDN so all 6 inks are gray, which makes things higher quality in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I'm glad that some people have had good luck with inkjet printers. Alas, I have not, and I've tried 5, including two professional models. Yes, I printed regularly....
    I have to say Peter that they are much quirkier than working with Canon, but I am warming up to the small P7000 I have, lots of small little details when working with the Epson that are PIA at the beginning but once one gets going I like it. The Canon
    I owned was a 60 inch ( actually owned two of them) and they were magnificent.