Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New printer - Epson ??

Re: New printer - Epson ??

I'm glad to hear that, Bob. My biggest printers were a....7600 and a 4880. The 4880 clogged two channels irreparably after two weeks of use using Piezography inks. The printer was brand new. Multiple uses of Piezoflush cleaning solution were tried. No go.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I'm glad to hear that, Bob. My biggest printers were a....7600 and a 4880. The 4880 clogged two channels irreparably after two weeks of use using Piezography inks. The printer was brand new. Multiple uses of Piezoflush cleaning solution were tried. No go.
    I know from experience how frustrating that can sometimes be. As one who came to dealing with their own film (as opposed to sending 35mm transparency film out to be developed) late in life, and with no help or guidance, I committed to digital printing over wet printing. I sometimes now want to just ditch the whole printing thing altogether, and just share my work on Facebook and my web page. I've had a "one-person" show at our small nonprofit art gallery in town, and I think I got fewer people coming to see prints than view my work online these days...

The 38** printers are really well made in my opinion (I have four of them), but you need to get your hands dirty and forget about the manufacturer's help (besides the service manual Epson generously lets people publish on internet). You will also have to order parts in China (since the manufacturer's representatives refuse to sell them, at least in Switzerland).

The printers were bought (for next to nothing) from people who had given up on their device; usually the capping station was badly in need of cleaning.
    Refillable systems did not work nicely for me, but from a delicious retiree on Youtube I learned how to fill the original tanks. After that, by buying large (220ml /700ml) cartridges from other people who gave up on their larger Epson printers, my printing costs are pretty much limited to the paper. Next step would be using the latest inks by Jon Cone, probably offering results at least as good as with the P900, 2-3 generations younger.

The DIY part might be intimidating at first, but it is time well invested and you might end up appreciating how cleverly the insides of that plastic housing are working together.

Not even mentioning the effects on your landfill.
    Best
    Andreas

@Sal Santamaura
    I call it Pictorino but i’m not sure if it’s really this brand. I got a few hundred of those films of a friend who works at Agfa.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMarq View Post
    @Sal Santamaura
    I call it Pictorino but i’m not sure if it’s really this brand. I got a few hundred of those films of a friend who works at Agfa.
    I'm not familiar with that Agfa film. Both the versions I linked to are made by Mitsubishi.

I have a 3800, that I rarely use. I only use it if I need a 16x20 digital negative. I really like using the P400. The smaller droplet size makes a big difference over the 3800... The 3800 seems to clog more often (especially magenta) than the P400.