Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing old tape residue from film holders

Re: Removing old tape residue from film holders

I use "Goo Gone." Not a particularly artful name, but it works. Like others mentioned, it's citrus based.

Of course, one wouldn't want these kinds of products reaching the felt inside the holder.

Mineral spirits would be another slow evaporation solvent, and can clean up well... Taping some blotters type paper over spot, wetting with a drop or two of solvent, and leave overnight or a day or two damp will soften goo where it can be scraped/rubbed off...

Steve K

Drew Wiley

Mineral spirits, paint thinner, doesn't work well with stubborn old adhesives. PEC film cleaner works well, but is expensive. Acetone or lacquer thinner would attack the ABS plastic many holder are made of. Citrus solvents work quite well if you're not in a hurry. Citrus is great against ants too ... but expect a sore throat afterwards if you use it indoors. Get it on your fingers, and they'll itch for awhile - it strips you own natural skin oils. I used to sell piles of De-Solv-It Contractor grade to actual contractors every week. Got roofing asphalt on your clothing? Spray De-Solv-It on the affected area, let it do its thing for a couple of hours, rinse it with a water hose, and then into the washing machine itself.

Years back I used a 3M "natural" citrus derived adhesive remover. Very aggressive, almost pure D-limonene , very nasty. I would stick with small amounts of goo gone. When you get all the goo off, just keep wiping with clean cotton rags.

Drew Wiley

The oid 3M orange stuff was impossibly slow for anything. I had a direct 3M industrial account, and it was among the many paint stripper options we offered. The old industrial chemical factories weren't booted out of town yet, and there was still a dunk tank stripping plant which used almost straight toluene about six blocks away. It was later relocated near the refinery next city away. The owner of the company dressed like a dandy in a satin black suit and bowler hat, and carried a cane too for style sake. He had a permanent big grin and took huge unnatural high steps. When I started questioning him about the safety of his toluene product, he replied, "Ishe been werkin wish it for shirty yearsh, and it hashn't hurt me a bit".

wood or plastic holders?

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    wood or plastic holders?
    Plastic