Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting (to me, at least) Kodak portrait lens realization

Interesting (to me, at least) Kodak portrait lens realization

I’ve been ogling the 16” f/4.5 Eastman Kodak portrait lens for years and I recently broke down and purchased one. Upon receipt, the Wollensak enthusiast in me rejoiced: the 16” Kodak portrait lens is mounted in a Wollensak #10 lens barrel.

Looks like the 12” Kodak portrait lens is in either a #8 or #9 Wollensak barrel. It’s the rare example of a lens offered in either an Ilex shutter or Wollensak barrel.

Re: Interesting (to me, at least) Kodak portrait lens realization

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    I’ve been ogling the 16” f/4.5 Eastman Kodak portrait lens for years and I recently broke down and purchased one. Upon receipt, the Wollensak enthusiast in me rejoiced: the 16” Kodak portrait lens is mounted in a Wollensak #10 lens barrel.

Looks like the 12” Kodak portrait lens is in either a #8 or #9 Wollensak barrel. It’s the rare example of a lens offered in either an Ilex shutter or Wollensak barrel.
    Do you mean they fit the flange or the black part of the barrel is the same as Wollensaks'? Cause the barrels on mine are distinctly different with a step and a set screw.

Good point of clarification! The baffled filter holder that screws into the front is Eastman Kodak. The black lens barrel in the rear that holds the optical assembly, as well as the flange, are also E. K. Co. The Wollensak iris diaphragm lens barrel is sandwiched in the middle.

The Eastman barrel screws onto what would normally be the Wollensak flange thread, and is held in place with set screws.

I was surprised only because I had assumed E. K. Co. produced these lovely, big iris diaphragm barrels themselves. Turns out they sourced them from the folks over on Hudson Ave.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56414921-D841-4230-B310-0853CD278D00.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	236428

Name:	DB574777-2909-4E30-98DB-60A7B621ACE7.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	236429

Good for you, eh!
    Bill

Thanks for sharing this trivia about the Kodak Portrait lenses in barrel. One of the all time Fave sorta focus lenses..
    The remarkable roundness of the iris in front is a wonder to behold and likely contributes to the personality of the Kodak Portrait.

Had the 16" back in the 8x10 days, now only the 12" in barrel for 5x7..

Bernice

I have both, I prefer the big one

Took me years to almost use it right

16" needs a very stout camera and lens board

I found KODAK Bee Safelight plastic ring fits perfectly for lens cap with a bit of matt board

And I found a slight mismatch German yellow filter also fits 122 mm at B&H, but no more

I really wanted the filter to protect the iris and yellow is good for my film types
    Tin Can

I suspect that while the Rochester lens makers were mostly competitors, sometimes they would collaborate on things. I recall a Kodak Optics old-timer once told me "they all knew each other", meaning that there was more collaboration than anyone realizes today. Your lens is a good example of that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I suspect that while the Rochester lens makers were mostly competitors, sometimes they would collaborate on things. I recall a Kodak Optics old-timer once told me "they all knew each other", meaning that there was more collaboration than anyone realizes today. Your lens is a good example of that idea.
    I share this view entirely, and I love coming across manifestations of it in products. Even where companies overlapped, there was ample room for specialization, collaboration, and goodwill. They all played in the Rochester Industrial Softball League! I’ve seen Wollensak drawings and documents for projects with Kodak, Bausch and Lomb, Graflex, Gundlach, Haloid, and Opto Dynetics. The notable exception is Ilex; Wollensak and Ilex appear to have been too similar to be anything but direct competitors, with bad blood and lawsuits from the companies’ earliest days.

Name:	A8166D12-C31E-4E08-9A81-574536A02DCB.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	236434

Oh, How Cool !
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com