Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I find a copy of Gordon Hutching's Book of Pyro ? Is there a PDF of it?

How can I find a copy of Gordon Hutching's Book of Pyro ? Is there a PDF of it?

I can't find a copy of Gordon Hutching's Book of Pyro. It is not available on Amazon and I can't find it on any of the used book websites I visit. Does anyone know how to get a copy of it? Can it be found as a PDF?

Re: How can I find a copy of Gordon Hutching's Book of Pyro ? Is there a PDF of it?

My copy was badly water damaged, got a replacement copy on Ebay recently.

Has anybody here ever made the Hutchings "Zone Board" in the back of the book? I have one I made hanging up on my studio wall. Works great
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Re: How can I find a copy of Gordon Hutching's Book of Pyro ? Is there a PDF of it?

Is there something specific from the book that you were looking for (I have a copy)? It's not what I would call a good book. Mostly ancient history and/or not very good information + some hyperbole thrown in.

Hutchings’ book is still useful -loads of perfectly viable information in it. Not many books of this sort are totally hyperbole-free.

Find the book on Google Books and then click the "Find in Library" or similar. Maybe a library near you has it or can get it via interlibrary loan.

Drew Wiley

There were two editions of it; the later one is preferable with respect to at least some current films. It's an excellent book if one wants a quick overview of pyro in general, along with formulas, and the usage of PMK in particular. Of course, a host of special pyro formulas sprang up in its aftermath, especially of the pyrocat rather than pyrogallol variety. That shows just how influential Hutchings' little book was at the time. PMK is still my favorite developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy F View Post
    Can it be found as a PDF?
    Yes. I have messaged you.

I simply borrowed the book from the public library. As I recall, they used interlibrary lon as the book has a narrow following.
    David

It appears Andy hasn't looked at this thread since he started it. I offered, but got no reply, so.....