Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mac Computer! :-)

Re: New Mac Computer! :-)

[QUOTE=drew.saunders
    If moving from intel to Apple silicon, don’t migrate any apps, just note the ones you want to keep and reinstall them. Move all your data and preferences.[/QUOTE]

Yes Peter reinstall all your software from scratch, a lot of work but you will benefit from it. I have also done this when going from am MicMini 2012 to a MacMini Studio.
    This way you have all the optimised software for the new processor, not quite sure for the preferences.

Know many who like PC Gaming computers for image work. No bloatware, good performance. Designed for fast response and with Photoshop and image programs they work well.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Know many who like PC Gaming computers for image work. No bloatware, good performance. Designed for fast response and with Photoshop and image programs they work well.
    PC Gaming rigs are a solid choice, but if power consumption is a concern a Mac Silicon machine is many many times more efficient on a performance per watt basis.

I want both

Just today ordered a tiny mini computer as my 10 year old PC is on it's last legs, I will strip out good parts and recycle

and I have a Mac
    Tin Can

A quick follow-up on my migration from my 2013 Intel Mac to my 24" Apple M1 Mac. First, thank you to everyone who responded to my concerns about the migration. In the end I looked for the simplest approach (i.e. the one Apple Support posted on the web) and used Migration Assistant from the old Mac to the new one. (I could have migrated from Time Machine, but Apple suggested directly migrating from one Mac to the other). While this migrated everything, including apps, when I opened the apps they all automatically required me to do new downloads (Adobe Elements, Vuescan, Microsoft Office) so rather than reinstalling myself from scratch, I merely followed the on-screen prompts. It all worked smoothly and fast. I configured my Mac with the optional 1TB of SSD, which probably accounts for some of the speed increase, and also will allow me to go from Elements to full Photoshop if I feel the urge. At the moment I use Elements to make digital contact sheets, and occasionally digital work prints, but anything serious still happens in my darkroom.