Thread: Vintage Prontor Shutter needs service

Vintage Prontor Shutter needs service

So I just finished developing my first negs from my Burke & James view camera with its Goerz Dagor lens and its Prontor SV shutter. Sadly, a number of blanks showed up. In examining the lens I found that maybe 10% of the time the shutter doesn't open as it should. And the shutter speeds could use a bit of adjustment. Can anyone recommend a service person or even how I might service this myself?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5624.jpg  

Re: Vintage Prontor Shutter needs service

Remove the elements, unscrew the crown, remove the front plate, douse with lighter fluid. Fire. You'll need to reinstall the plate to get it to fire at all speeds.
    They gum up over time and just need a clean usually.
    Paul

Here's one I prepared earlier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221214_155607.jpg  
    Paul

That would be the photographic equivalent of a spray can of "Fix-a-Flat". The shutter deserves a proper service, by someone who knows how. For at least three reasons;
    1) the dirt and gunk in the shutter has just been moved around; likely causing wear on now non-lubricated parts or spreading grime throughout.
    2) a proper service all get everything working right for decades. The shutter may need adjusting as well as cleaning.
    3) helps to keep the repair technician in business
    4) they're not making these any more, so keep the ones you have alive.

It's nothing like a spray can fix a flat.
    The shutter is simply and robust.
    There is nothing to adjust, only clean.
    Service person might take some of it apart to clean more thoroughly....or not.
    I have been able to get many shutters working using this method.
    If it still doesn't work then send it away, the lighter fluid won't hurt anything.
    People should be able to do minor repairs themselves or at least have the knowledge of how simple a repair is.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by awty View Post
    the lighter fluid won't hurt anything.
    People should be able to do minor repairs themselves or at least have the knowledge of how simple a repair is.
    This is a great way to move old oil and grease from their proper, predictable locations onto escapements, shutter blades, and iris leaves. When a shutter “serviced” in this fashion eventually arrives in the hands of a technician, it will require complete disassembly and repair beyond a usual CLA, resulting in more cost and risk to the customer.

I applaud people taking the plunge and servicing their own equipment, but parts simply must be removed for cleaning, not flooded with solvents in situ. There probably aren’t going to be any new mechanical leaf shutters produced in our lifetime, so please be a good steward of existing equipment for future users and avoid this type of gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    This is a great way to move old oil and grease from their proper, predictable locations onto escapements, shutter blades, and iris leaves. When a shutter “serviced” in this fashion eventually arrives in the hands of a technician, it will require complete disassembly and repair beyond a usual CLA, resulting in more cost and risk to the customer.

I applaud people taking the plunge and servicing their own equipment, but parts simply must be removed for cleaning, not flooded with solvents in situ. There probably aren’t going to be any new mechanical leaf shutters produced in our lifetime, so please be a good steward of existing equipment for future users and avoid this type of gimmick.
    Only in your imagination.
    Paul

I can second jnantz's recommendation of Carol Miller at Flutot (flutotscamera@earthlink.net), though I think she is pretty backlogged: I've been waiting to get to the head of her queue for about a month. Zachs Camera Repair is working on one of my Prontor SV shutters right now - the estimate is $125 plus S&H for a CLA and slow-speed train repair. I haven't had experience with them before, but they came highly recommended.(zackscamerarepair.com)

I recently fixed a misbehaving Pronto (almost impossible to turn the shutter speed selection ring) by removing the upper plate and speed ring, removing the solidified grease from their common surfaces, and applying a very light film of lithium grease. Problem solved. Speeds are still off more than I'd like, but I choose not to take on disassembly of a shutter more complicated than the fix I just described - too many experiences with leftover parts after applying a carburetor kit. If you feel more daring, there is a downloadable repair manual here.

On the cautionary side, I recall reading that indiscriminate soaking with naptha can damage some flash interface components on some shutters. Yeah - pretty vague.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    I can second jnantz's recommendation of Carol Miller at Flutot (flutotscamera@earthlink.net), though I think she is pretty backlogged: I've been waiting to get to the head of her queue for about a month. Zachs Camera Repair is working on one of my Prontor SV shutters right now - the estimate is $125 plus S&H for a CLA and slow-speed train repair. I haven't had experience with them before, but they came highly recommended.(zackscamerarepair.com)

I recently fixed a misbehaving Pronto (almost impossible to turn the shutter speed selection ring) by removing the upper plate and speed ring, removing the solidified grease from their common surfaces, and applying a very light film of lithium grease. Problem solved. Speeds are still off more than I'd like, but I choose not to take on disassembly of a shutter more complicated than the fix I just described - too many experiences with leftover parts after applying a carburetor kit. If you feel more daring, there is a downloadable repair manual here.

On the cautionary side, I recall reading that indiscriminate soaking with naptha can damage some flash interface components on some shutters. Yeah - pretty vague.

Good luck!
    Michael Zacks did a CLA on a Supermatic, an older style No. 1 Compur (top speed 1/400) and a newer style Compur No. 1 (top speed 1/500) for me. I was very happy with his work.

David

Thanks for all the input and references. Very helpful.