Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite NP still closed.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yosemite NP still closed.

Because of snow.
    Even more snow predicted for today, but the park is scheduled to open on 1 March.
    We'll see.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Yosemite NP still closed.

More snow than average where I am. We keep getting what they call a "Colorado low", so I'm blaming Colorado. I don't ski anymore so get off my lawn, snow.

Re Yosemite, take the opportunity to go somewhere different, less touristy, and more interesting.

Drew Wiley

Yeah, I had to change plans. Heck, people who couldn't get into the Sierra this past week ended up skiing on our local coastal hills! There are no tourists in Yosemite now. That's when you want to be stuck there, but are stuck. But the visibility won't be great in all that falling snow. You can check their official webcams for visual conditions.

You know about as much about Yosemite as you do about the back side of the moon, Michael. Summer-crowded Yosemite Valley itself is only 8% of the overall Park, which is turn is surrounded by a much greater area of relative solitude.

That is the drawback of winter...the Valley is basically the only part of the Park open -- along with the areas along the roads in. I have yet to have the good fortune to be 'stuck' in the Valley. Friends have been stuck due to fires, floods, snow, covid, and gov't shutdowns...lucky bastards.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Nobody's stuck in the valley this time. It was evacuated after first being closed last Saturday. Only park personnel are present. My last visit, seeking some nice snow scenes, was in mid-December 2018. Snow? The high temperatures all four days were in the 60s F. Not a speck of the white stuff. Feast or famine.

Drew Wiley

The scheduled re-opening yesterday has been cancelled. The park is closed indefinitely until further notice, due to more incoming low elevation snowstorms. I have been stuck in the Valley once, and it was my most memorable time there. Had chains, parked right on the road (there were no plowed turnouts), and saw only one other car & person one whole day, a Ranger. Three whole days until a road out was open again. Fortunately, I had both snowshoes and an ice axe along, plus my Sinar 4X5 system in the pack, and plenty of cold-weather camping supplies. That was in early January, however. I wouldn't want to be fooling around on any ice that low an elevation in March.

The size of the waterfall runoff later in Spring will probably be tremendous and draw big crowds. But weekdays shouldn't be too bad. I never seek out stereotypical postcardy pictures anyway.

The photography is better in Bakersfield.

Drew Wiley

I always suspected you of being a trucker, Michael. Yep, in Bakersfield you can pull up yer Semi n its trailer, get your monthly hot shower, and listen to some Merle Haggard music right there in the Truck Stop lounge. Who needs Leonard Cohen when you've got that?

Right now, I've got friends stuck in LA because they can't get over the Grapevine - the pass on the freeway between LA and Bakersfield - due to snow. There should be quite a wildflower display toward the end of this month due to the drought being broken; but some of those backroads beyond Bakersfield might be an especially muddy mess this time around. I was planning a wildflower loop trip into our Gold Country, then a day in Yos, then right across the Valley toward the big bloom area west of Bakersfield... but, weather isn't allowing anything like that quite yet. Happy to just have a break in the wind and rain today, and be out in our own soggy meadows here with a camera.

Heavy warm rain predicted up there for the weekend, so flooding may be a problem.
    With all the rain native grasses will be ripe for wildfires this summer.
    It's going to be interesting.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Yeah -- they have the 1997 flood on their minds. A good friend was 'trapped' in the Valley during the '97 flood -- one of his images of the flooded Valley ended up on an interpretive sign on a footbridge over the Merced. Another good flood might take out that bridge -- and the sign.

We'll be in a similar situation -- snow still falling above 2000', so the Pineapple Express will bring all that down the rivers and creeks at once. But the high tides are relatively mellow which will help.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China