Thread: vancouver island

vancouver island

My wife and I will be going to Vancouver Island in August. We will be spending most of our time in the Campbell River area, but will likely ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo and then drive to Campbell river. Any suggestions for good things to see/do? No need to recommend any kayaking - we've already planned a full week of that at one point!

Les

Re: vancouver island

Not sure you know, but you can ferry from Tsewassen to Nanaimo (or near) as well. The island is not really massive (appx 260 miles in length), but there are lots to do. Telegraph Cove had great little trip to view Orcas. Parksville offers sandcastle festival, which IMHO should not be missed. You might find something out of Cambell River (?). Nearby Cortes Island was a gem, tho it took two ferries to get there....I camped there nearly a week. The Gulf Islands (closer to Victoria) are just as unique and probably require additional time to visit. If you like totem poles, Duncan might be for you.....but for truely original stuff you may have to visit the museum at UBC in Vancouver. Chemainus offers some cool murals....it takes time to see them all. Not sure about you, but I tend to mix the semi touristy stuff with alternative. On the other side of the island is Pacific Rim Natl PK, which has its own natural beauty. I've visited the island couple of dozen times and always had a nice time there.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Hi Gregg,

First visit to the island? One of my favorite places to visit and photograph. Once owned a house in Courtenay. As Les noted, Pacific Rim, Tofino and Ucluelet are worth a visit. Also, south of Courtenay, take the ferry across to Hornby Island. There are many ways to get to Vancouver Island, once made it to Courtenay same day from Bay Area. From Port Angeles, WA to Victoria the Black Ball Ferry is an interesting crossing.

I'm envious, have a wonderful time!

Eric Woodbury

Been many years, but we enjoyed Victoria, the Douglas Fir forests, and the long sandy beaches on the west side. Have fun. E

If you look up "Ripple Rock " There are some fantastic documentary films on the explosion of Ripple Rock. At the time it was the largest non atomic, non military explosion. It was a rock between Quadra Island and Vancouver Island, which created whirl pools and treacherous navigation. Just a few miles north of Campbell River. Great kayaking all around Campbell River. Gold River approx. 1 hr. drive to the west coast of Vancouver Island. Famous for kayaking sites. Forbidden Plateau west of Courtenay, popular skiing location great for hiking in summer months. Beautiful views (4x5 here). The Golden Hinde, around 7000 ft. high, resides near by. I did not summit it, had to turn back. It is the highest peak on Vancouver Island. If you ever get the chance, consider the flight from Union Lake Wa. to Victoria B.C. It's seaplane (usually Beaver) the view of the coastal islands so scenic. The seaplane to Seattle and the Hydrofoil back. So many sites, so little time. Have fun. bkp
    Last edited by BKP; 28-Feb-2023 at 23:19. Reason: up dated info

Thanks, all - I have some research to do! Not my first time on the island, but I don't remember a thing from the first time! I think we drove north along the west cast as far as we could...

I hope not to need a dentist, have a good one here where I live.

The trip is focused around staying in a small cabin on an island and sea kayaking around there for a week, but we'll have a few days before, and again after, that. I have a map book on the way, will study all the roads and ferries.