Thread: Thomas Duplex Super Safelight, Need Parts!

Thomas Duplex Super Safelight, Need Parts!

Chris LeQuire here from Valley Regional High School, Last week our Darkroom light blew, it looks to be the transformer. I'm looking for another light like this one or a new transformer. I'm really hoping you can point me in the right direction, I need to get these kids working back in the darkroom!

Re: Thomas Duplex Super Safelight, Need Parts!

Consider LED safelight instead. Bright and doesn't need warm-up time and less likely to fog paper.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

from the safelight instructions...

"The THOMAS DUPLEX SUPER SAFELIGHT requires little service and maintenance. If there is a problem with the socket, transformer or cord, a trained electrician should be able to service the safelight."

good luck, don't believe there's a better safelight out there (from someone who HATES red led strips, with the fire of a million suns haha)
    Last edited by Fred L; 26-Feb-2023 at 12:58.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Consider liability for schools, students and professions instructors

I would never touch it

It is a very simple LAMP

'The Naked Photographer' on u Tube an instructor, look him up

He also tells us which NEW filters you need and other parts
    Tin Can

In my classroom I currently have 2 Thomas Duplex Super Safelights with the FBD, yellow-edged filters in stalled in the housing and the FOD, Red -edged filters in the vanes, the room is a 16 X 25 darkroom with 15 Beseler 23C III Enlargers, One of the transformers blew on a safelight when a student brought in a bluetooth magnet speaker and attached it to the safelight housing. I love this style lights because students can darken the room so they can focuses better by closing the vanes.

I'm currently playing around with the now broken Thomas Duplex and using the housing and instilled a LED 2500K 150W bulb with a (FBD, yellow-edged filters ), however I got some fogging on the paper. Next test is using a (FOD, Red -edged filters)

What LED Safe light do you recommend with a room thats this size? We are just using B&W Arista EDU RC paper

I don't see how any single safe light can handle 15 stations

I now use these, before they tripled in price

Made for x_Ray film which I use a lot

STAR X-RAY GBX2 Type Darkroom Safelight New In The Box Dental X-Ray SL105
    Tin Can

Chris -

I have a set of the gel filters to rebuild the glass filters (per the YouTube video referenced above) if you need them. It took me about an hour to do the inner and outer (B/W) filters as new but another hour just to clean the old glass. Shoot me a DM if you want the gels (maybe enough to do 2 safelights) and I'll ship it to the school.

Regarding the transformer, are you sure it has one? From what I remember, only the 220V ones had it. (memory may be wrong)

B