Tin Can

Re: Crowley Lake Columns

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Woke up to Bing showing fantastic image from

Crowley Lake Columns

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...y-lake-columns

Never been to Mono Lake, but all pics I have seen are only LAKE
    Cool!
    My great uncle was a good friend of the gentleman Lake Crowley was named after.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Crowley Lake is an artificial reservoir courtesy of the LA Water Dept. It's all basically stolen water they intended to pipe to themselves, including at the expense of Mono Lake. There are hundreds of square miles of tufa all the way from there down along the Owens River Gorge (or ex- Owens River), from Mono Basin clear down into the Owens Valley. It's still considered a giant hot spot - the Long Valley Caldera, equivalent to Yellowstone. The biggest eruptions were in the Miocene, but the tufa itself is more likely Pliocene, given the direction of flow. But I don't think the ranchers who lost their water considered anyone named Crowley a gentleman! - much less anyone named Mulholland! Those two had their own infamous falling out, but seem to have reconciled after Mulholland was lost his reputation due to the Hollywood Dam collapse (yeah, slightly wrong Dam, but I don't remember the correct name). Stealing water was a worse crime than cattle rustling to that generation, and nobody was a bigger thief than Mulholland.

But if I've got John K's ear : I always took exception to the standard Bateman and Warhaftig explanation that the San Joaquin basaltic Tables came out of little Sugarloaf Cone upriver, and are Pliocene. Turns out I was right, and these giant flows actually came from what is now the Long Valley Caldera on the east side of the range during the Miocene, that is, back before most of the uplift, when the Sierra was gentle range lower than whatever giant volcano was then there. The biggest peripheral remnant of that is Mammoth Mountain of course, probably tiny by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Crowley Lake is an artificial reservoir courtesy of the LA Water Dept. It's all basically stolen water they intended to pipe to themselves, including at the expense of Mono Lake. There are hundreds of square miles of tufa all the way from there down along the Owens River Gorge (or ex- Owens River), from Mono Basin clear down into the Owens Valley. It's still considered a giant hot spot - the Long Valley Caldera, equivalent to Yellowstone. The biggest eruptions were in the Miocene, but the tufa itself is more likely Pliocene, given the direction of flow. But I don't think the ranchers who lost their water considered anyone named Crowley a gentleman! - much less anyone named Mulholland! Those two had their own infamous falling out, but seem to have reconciled after Mulholland was lost his reputation due to the Hollywood Dam collapse (yeah, slightly wrong Dam, but I don't remember the correct name). Stealing water was a worse crime than cattle rustling to that generation, and nobody was a bigger thief than Mulholland.

But if I've got John K's ear : I always took exception to the standard Bateman and Warhaftig explanation that the San Joaquin basaltic Tables came out of little Sugarloaf Cone upriver, and are Pliocene. Turns out I was right, and these giant flows actually came from what is now the Long Valley Caldera on the east side of the range during the Miocene, that is, back before most of the uplift, when the Sierra was gentle range lower than whatever giant volcano was then there. The biggest peripheral remnant of that is Mammoth Mountain of course, probably tiny by comparison.
    Interesting!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Woodbury

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Crowley Lake also good trout fishing.
    Was a time that on opening day of trout season you could walk across Crowley without getting wet. Boat to boat. Very odd.

Drew Wiley

Crowley was all basically wide pasture land, stolen and flooded by LA Water Dept. Kinda the last burp of the Old West reviving itself for a momentary Clint Eastwood-like tossing of dynamite at the aqueduct construction, and gun standoffs. That time, Goliath won big instead. And it seems so bizarre to create an artificial shallow lake, and in the process, deprive of water and destroy a beautiful natural one which sustained people for at least 12,000 years along its shoreline, Owen's Lake downstream. An enviro disaster too, with all the resultant alkaline dust being stirred up by the winds ever since. Ironically, it's right there that Crystal Geyser has one of its water bottling plants. The water itself is piped downhill from much greater altitude; but how does anyone who works there manage to breathe decently? It's an official Superfund hazmat site, for gosh sakes, right at that highway intersection. But the Forest Service Office is right there too.

Claude Fiddler once took a stunning 4x5 color sunrise shot of Crowley when it was all frozen over.