Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exposing Muybridge

Re: Exposing Muybridge

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I read a book a day for a long time and lived in college libraries
    I was driving home from Home Depot the other day and they had this show on NPR about romance novels. One woman who was interviewed said she read 600 romance novels a year. I am not sure where she lived. Possibly an Amazon book warehouse.

A few years ago I was at my alma mater and visited the library. There were fewer books there than when I attended. I went up to my old carrel and it looked like a museum, with the same books on the shelves, and the same dust on the books, as when I was there.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    A few years ago I was at my alma mater and visited the library. There were fewer books there than when I attended. I went up to my old carrel and it looked like a museum, with the same books on the shelves, and the same dust on the books, as when I was there.
    I did the same thing... and no stacks at all for browsing. A new building was added for book storage and features a robotic retrieval system. Reaaly cool but so was just walking through the rows of books and haphazardly finding something of interest.

My good friend Luther Gerlach was very involved, and played Muybridge in the recreation of the horse galloping scene. I gave Luther a little help getting the reproduction shutters to fire convincingly for the film, and I had a bit background role in the recreation scene as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    And I believe if I'm not mistaken, Tracy Storer, who posts here from time to time, has a role in the movie.

I also highly recommend Rebecca Solnit's "River of Shadows, Edweard Muybridge and the Technological West" which goes into more detail about Muybridge and his remarkable life.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    My good friend Luther Gerlach was very involved, and played Muybridge in the recreation of the horse galloping scene. I gave Luther a little help getting the reproduction shutters to fire convincingly for the film, and I had a bit background role in the recreation scene as well.
    Sounds fun!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I did the same thing... and no stacks at all for browsing. A new building was added for book storage and features a robotic retrieval system. Reaaly cool but so was just walking through the rows of books and haphazardly finding something of interest.
    Agreed. There were some stretches in the stacks I went back to time after time, just pulling out books of the same general nature as the one that first interested me.

You can't tell a book by its cover, but you can make a good guess by its spine...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Muybridge...a scandal? Murder? Jeesh, and I used to teach a photo history course!

Back in my day 1970's family had a cabin 1 hour north of Madison WI

I got bored in winter, drove to UW huge Campus and spent months researching our very rich and secretive

Books about them were all missing from every library in USA, as I tried hard to get the books

not stalking, academic research

Even LOC had these 'books' listed as on shelf

It was like somebody stole all the books right off the shelf
    Tin Can

I was more aware of Carelton Watkin's life and story than that of Muybridge. Thank you so much for letting us know about the film on Amazon Prime. I watched it last night. I have one small book on him "Eadweard Muybridge: the Standford Years 1872-1882." I have seen prints in different collections as well as Muybride images in books. I didn't know about: the murder, and all of his work following his work for Stanford. It does seem that being a photographer in the 19th century was a difficult business - with what happened to Watkins and Muybridge and others in their life hardships. I am extremely fortunate to have saved and own a mammoth plate Watkin's image of Yosemite from the trash. It does happen. For so many it is just "old stuff." I really like the depth in Albumen prints - I remember it said that there were 21 zones in albumen paper - years ago I had the remains of a box of Kodak studio proof paper - It was wonderful.

Just got the Taschen Eadweard Muybridge tome in 3 languages from Abe's Books

Endless small plates
    Tin Can

I'm watching Exposing Muybridge now. Also on Prime is Eadweard "inspired by true events" which I have not watched yet.