Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning 11x14 BW Negatives

Re: Scanning 11x14 BW Negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    A downside to my Epson V850 (as well as, I suspect, its sibling and their predecessors) is an apparently complete lack of attention to dissipating static electricity. The plastic case builds and retains a charge that is then transferred to its glass surfaces as well as negatives/transparencies being scanned. I intend to open it up and tape some cut up pieces of anti-static bags onto the interior surfaces to mitigate this issue, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I'm anxious to avoid extensive work on image files cleaning up dust.

Does anyone here own a 12000XL? If so, did Epson design anything into it to control static? Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can share.
    What does the static do?

I bought 2--16x48" neg viewers for $20 early last decade

Same as used for years in Foto shops

I was on crutches, the seller loaded them in my van, he WANTED them gone, wife was watching...

I make negs up to 14X36" and use matt board to block excess light

Then to show you folk I shoot it with DIGI

I can now make contact prints up to that size

and hope to get my 14X36" camera into reality
    Tin Can

A downside to my Epson V850 (as well as, I suspect, its sibling and their predecessors) is an apparently complete lack of attention to dissipating static electricity. The plastic case builds and retains a charge that is then transferred to its glass surfaces as well as negatives/transparencies being scanned. I intend to open it up and tape some cut up pieces of anti-static bags onto the interior surfaces to mitigate this issue, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I'm anxious to avoid extensive work on image files cleaning up dust.

Does anyone here own a 12000XL? If so, did Epson design anything into it to control static? Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can share.
    https://a.co/d/8VK9tQ9
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    What does the static do?
    Attracts maddening quantities of dust to the glass and negative. Despite use of anti-static devices on the glass, negative and scanner case. Charge builds back up almost immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    See above.

Attracts maddening quantities of dust to the glass and negative. Despite use of anti-static devices on the glass, negative and scanner case. Charge builds back up almost immediately.

See above.
    I think my newer V850 collects more dust than my older V600 because the V850 has extra glass to hold the film flat on the holders. Two extra surfaces just collect more dust despite my best efforts to blow and sweep it off with a static brush. I spend a lot of time spotting in Lightroom afterwards. Lately I've been using ICE which help but not perfect and very slow.

Views You Can Use

Joseph Kashi you can send them to me, happy to scan and return.

I think the V850 and ilk use LED and the older models like mine use fluorescent tubes

The dif may be heat

Since I believe most electronics last longer if left on

I leave mine on

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I think my newer V850 collects more dust than my older V600 because the V850 has extra glass to hold the film flat on the holders. Two extra surfaces just collect more dust despite my best efforts to blow and sweep it off with a static brush. I spend a lot of time spotting in Lightroom afterwards. Lately I've been using ICE which help but not perfect and very slow.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Beck View Post
    Joseph Kashi you can send them to me, happy to scan and return.
    Thank you, Roger, that's very kind. However, my lightly-used Epson 10000XL should be here in about two days.

Best regards

Joe Kashi

Will beat the hell out of multiple scans on a smaller Epson (V750/850) and stitching, which I found to be a royal PITA. I work at a university and have access to a 12000XL, and previously a 10000XL which they got rid of without my knowing it (wish I could have gotten my hands on it) and it makes scanning 11x14 a relative pleasure.

The Epson 10000XL and transparency unit was received in good working order and I have it up and running. It's a clean solution to scanning 11x14 and the used models are not TOO expensive.

However, what I've found though, is that 60MB JPEGs of 11x14 scans at the standard 2400dpi are "too big" for Lightroom to accept and further process and output.

Does anyone have any suggestions about decent post-processing programs that can handle the pixel dimensions and file size of an 11x14 scan?