Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scanning 11x14 BW Negatives

Re: Scanning 11x14 BW Negatives

Just before SHITF I was about to get access to one at the big Jr College 3 miles away

been so long I forgot

I will check and report to myself....

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Regarding the big Epsons, check your local libraries or universities. I know my old university had a 10000XL in their library that anyone could use (hardly anyone touched it).
    Tin Can

I scan mine on a V700 in four scans and then merge in PS.

A downside to my Epson V850 (as well as, I suspect, its sibling and their predecessors) is an apparently complete lack of attention to dissipating static electricity. The plastic case builds and retains a charge that is then transferred to its glass surfaces as well as negatives/transparencies being scanned. I intend to open it up and tape some cut up pieces of anti-static bags onto the interior surfaces to mitigate this issue, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I'm anxious to avoid extensive work on image files cleaning up dust.

Does anyone here own a 12000XL? If so, did Epson design anything into it to control static? Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can share.

Views You Can Use

Epson 12000XL is perfect for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Beck View Post
    Epson 12000XL is perfect for that.
    ...except that the version with transparency unit now costs $4400. The Epson website very occasionally offers refurbished units at a substantial discount, but still well over $2000 when equipped with the transparency unit.

I like Bryan's advice. Check for a local university (or maybe even a public library) that might let you use a scanner. Otherwise, if you have a good digital camera, then making a scanner isn't that hard. Once setup, scanning that way would be much faster than a traditional scanner.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Never had your problem 10 years V700 mostly left 'on'

No internal dust, never cleaned

Location perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    A downside to my Epson V850 (as well as, I suspect, its sibling and their predecessors) is an apparently complete lack of attention to dissipating static electricity. The plastic case builds and retains a charge that is then transferred to its glass surfaces as well as negatives/transparencies being scanned. I intend to open it up and tape some cut up pieces of anti-static bags onto the interior surfaces to mitigate this issue, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I'm anxious to avoid extensive work on image files cleaning up dust.

Does anyone here own a 12000XL? If so, did Epson design anything into it to control static? Thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can share.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Epson 12000XL has gotten crazy-expensive, alas; if you get really lucky it might be possible to find a used 10000XL or 11000XL for a price within reason. Microtek at one point had some transparency scanners that could accommodate at least the 11-inch dimension, allowing for stitching of only two exposures, though I think they've more or less withdrawn from the US market and used ones will probably have iffy reliability.
    Thanks, Oren, for your suggestion.

I bought a used but clean Epson 10000XL scanner with the A3 transparency unit for an affordable price. That seemed like the cleanest solution for my anticipated circumstances.

Thank you, everyone, for the many helpful suggestions.
    Last edited by Joseph Kashi; 20-Feb-2023 at 01:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I like Bryan's advice. Check for a local university (or maybe even a public library) that might let you use a scanner. Otherwise, if you have a good digital camera, then making a scanner isn't that hard. Once setup, scanning that way would be much faster than a traditional scanner.
    Thank you all for this very practical idea - this would be a very workable approach except that I set up the local college's digital photo gear and know that the 11x17 Microtek scanner that I donated to them does not have a transparency unit, alas! <GG>

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Regarding the big Epsons, check your local libraries or universities. I know my old university had a 10000XL in their library that anyone could use (hardly anyone touched it).
    I live in a small Alaska town 150 mountain highway miles from Anchorage. No one has a transparency scanner that big within driving distance - it's the sort of thing that I had to forego when I moved from Washington DC to the Kenai Peninsula. That and spending much of my weekend dealing with TMS - Too Much Snow. Buying a used 10000XL was the only ultimately practical approach.

Although I am contact printing the 11x14, I do have a large Epson 7590 printer at my office and the ability to make big digital prints if and when needed. No sense wasting any of that big negative.