Thread: Epson R2400 printing issues after long idle period

Epson R2400 printing issues after long idle period

I have a Epson R2400 which I have left unused for over 2 years. I had previously used this printer only moderately and had no problems with it in any way. While it was inactive it sat on my desk covered and never turned on or attempted to start up until now.

I started to attempt to rejunivate it by pulling all the carts and using a syringe to pull and push Windex though the individual nozzles. I took me a better part of a week to get each nozzle to accept and flush out each of the 8 channels. I also cleaned the bottom of the print head, flushed the capping station and cleaned the wiper. I added an external waste ink tank to keep the waste ink out of the printer absorption pads. I installed NOS ink cartridges which I had which were still in the original packaging.

I started with a couple of head cleanings and I got the yellow & magenta to print. After a number of more cleaning and nozzles test I got the cyan and Matt black to print correctly. These carts were the first 4 from right to left. But, no matter what I tried I can't get the last 4 cartridges to test at all. I even reflushed the last 4 nozzles (which were the left side nozzles) with Windex and they flushed out fine. Is there any way to test electrically if those 4 channels on the print head are working. The tests waste so much ink that to continue much longer I believe I will need to get some refillable carts and ink. I have gone through nine (9) OEM carts so far.

Thanks

Re: Epson R2400 printing issues after long idle period

If you really want to continue trying to get this printer working, again, I recommend getting some Piezo Printhead Cleaning solution from inkjetmall to re-flush and clean with. Windex can work, but many times it just can't clear bad clogs. Your NOS cartridges could be causing issues, too, because something seems to happen to the pigments as the cartridge ages. Did you shake each one REALLY well? If not, "stiff" pigments could have re-clogged one or more nozzles. Personally, I'd call it a day and buy a new printer.

I'm sorry to say that it's likely cheaper to buy a new printer.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I'm sorry to say that it's likely cheaper to buy a new printer.
    Agree. I had one, I know.

Your best bet is refillable cartridges and the PiezoFlush solution from Inkjet Mall. I got a very old Epson R1800 working that way. I would stop using the OEM cartridges altogether though- use InkjetMall or InkOwl (cheaper) bulk ink instead. Older Epson prints that can actually use refillable cartridges are often times worth more, on Ebay, than new ones that have sophisticated security systems to prevent it. So I would say that buying a new printer isn't going to be cheaper in the long run vs bulk inks.

I'd put the money for expensive bulk cartridges/Piezoflush (which I have a bunch of) towards a new printer. Yes, I had an R2400 at one time......
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I will never buy another epson printNOT

I bought plenty and all failed

This is posted for EPSON CORPORATE IDIOTS who design, make and sell this garbage

Landfill
    Tin Can

I use a couple of old Epson 3880.
    They do their job to my satisfaction, but this only after I learned how to re-fill OEM cartridges an reset their chip, take apart the capping station and change dampers (as well as order parts from China: no way the distributors will sell them to individuals -at least not here in Switzerland).
    I find these printers well designed; there is a reason Jon Cone relies so much on them.
    They only get fed with OEM inks, but from larger cartridges (220ml) that I buy from people who gave up on their printer.
    Best
    Andreas