Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will I regret not taking my view camera to Big Bend NP?

Re: Will I regret not taking my view camera to Big Bend NP?

I was a winter Texan

I miss those

Times

I often drove or rode the expanse

Texarkana to El Paso

Take it!
    Tin Can

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Now I’m actually thinking of taking both the Wista and my Fuji digital. Since I’m shipping loaded film holders, there’s room in the pack for the Fuji. I can choose between the two cameras. If I’m hot and tired, the Fuji. Fresh as a daisy, the Wista. This will give me an excuse to buy a small “travel tripod” to use for both cameras.

Good plan!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Lighten you load with a better tripod minus a ball head. I have no problem fitting an entire 4X5 system into a regulation airline carry-on, film holders, tripod and all, including a few books to read in flight and a raincoat and jacket as well. But it's my little Ebony 4X5 folder, and not my Sinar Norma. But that folder system is no heavier than a MF SLR kit, less wt than even many DLSR rigs I see people lugging around equipped with huge zoom teles, since view camera lenses themselves are generally far lighter. Or compromise, and take roll film backs instead of full-sized holder with your view camera.

I don't know why people use ball heads for anything view-camera related. There's a reason I call em bobble heads.

Eric Woodbury

You can make a great photograph with any camera. Personally, I find two camera types distracting.

EjW

Newer cell phones make very good images

My SE2 is always in my shirt pocket
    Tin Can

Take the camera you are most comfortable shooting in any conditions... If it is too windy, shooting from a car window, handheld etc, you will bring back more images with that camera...

My travel LF rule is if spending just a passing through afternoon or a day or two, that camera will have few chances to shoot, so a more portable camera that is almost ready to shoot will get used much more...

Now, if you just shoot one format/camera, you then make allowances for it...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Newer cell phones make very good images

My SE2 is always in my shirt pocket
    https://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops...iphone-camera/

Noted LF photographer Tillman Crane is doing a whole workshop on the I-Phone cameras. He has even made digital negatives and hand coated Pt/Pd prints from them.

Take a View Camera. You will kick yourself later for leaving it home.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Ben, there's not much I could add to the above suggestions...but I had to laugh at your comment about your "under the dark cloth activities" being misinterpreted. In my case, it was a scorching day in Chaco Canyon many years ago...with me sitting on the ground in the shady lee of a large rock, with my changing bag on my lap as I was actively loading holders - when I was happened upon by an elderly gentleman accompanied by a young girl (likely his granddaughter)...who was quick to ask "what's that man doing?" To which the old gent replied..."lets just move along dear!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Ben, there's not much I could add to the above suggestions...but I had to laugh at your comment about your "under the dark cloth activities" being misinterpreted. In my case, it was a scorching day in Chaco Canyon many years ago...with me sitting on the ground in the shady lee of a large rock, with my changing bag on my lap as I was actively loading holders - when I was happened upon by an elderly gentleman accompanied by a young girl (likely his granddaughter)...who was quick to ask "what's that man doing?" To which the old gent replied..."lets just move along dear!"
    That sounds awkward
    And now so funny!