Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Will I regret not taking my view camera to Big Bend NP?

Re: Will I regret not taking my view camera to Big Bend NP?

What about renting a Fuji GFX Hasseldlad X1D/X2D rig?

Just to be clear (and not a gun owner), I've lived in Texas for 55 years and have never felt in danger photographing anywhere including the valley, West Texas and even in any of our large towns.

Big Bend was what really inspired me to get a view camera. 'Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    Just to be clear (and not a gun owner), I've lived in Texas for 55 years and have never felt in danger photographing anywhere including the valley, West Texas and even in any of our large towns.

In National Parks you are generally safe, but in the larger, out of the way parts of the Parks it pays to pay attention -- because no one might be where you are for weeks.

I was once in the backcountry of Bandalier National Monument, New Mexico -- where no hunting is allowed -- and ran into two hunters who claimed to have "special permission'. I normally do a lot of off trail hiking, but as soon as I heard them blasting away nearby I pulled up stakes. I was able to report to the authorities that they decimated an entire heard of wild burros. I didn't get pictures of the herd, but I did get pictures of the hunters. The Rangers found the dead herd later on. Fortunately, with my help, and my friend, the Park Service was able to nail the bastards in Federal Court -- a FEDERAL case, for sure.

With me off trail, those idiots would have shot anything that moved -- including me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    In National Parks you are generally safe, but in the larger, out of the way parts of the Parks it pays to pay attention -- because no one might be where you are for weeks.

I was once in the backcountry of Bandalier National Monument, New Mexico -- where no hunting is allowed -- and ran into two hunters who claimed to have "special permission'. I normally do a lot of off trail hiking, but as soon as I heard them blasting away nearby I pulled up stakes. I was able to report to the authorities that they decimated an entire heard of wild burros. I didn't get pictures of the herd, but I did get pictures of the hunters. The Rangers found the dead herd later on. Fortunately, with my help, and my friend, the Park Service was able to nail the bastards in Federal Court -- a FEDERAL case, for sure.

With me off trail, those idiots would have shot anything that moved -- including me!!!
    It's a good thing you didn't have four legs.

I bet there is a counterpoint story

Here Wild Pigs will soon join Bambi hunt

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

Tin Can

I'm not you, but I certainly wouldn't head there without at least 2 of my LF cameras- 5x12 (7x17 if I still had it),and 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I'm not you, but I certainly wouldn't head there without at least 2 of my LF cameras- 5x12 (7x17 if I still had it),and 8x10.
    Thanks, Jim. I’m definitely taking my Wista DX kit. It’s pretty lightweight. Shipping my film ahead to avoid airport X-rays. I have an ancient Kodak 2D 8x10, but I don’t have energy to take it.

I'll suggest that on any trip of this sort you should concentrate on using one format; you carry less weight, use less film, and it helps keep your mind clear. Which is important when you're confronted with a large new subject...
    I know Ansel took the whole shooting-match when he went out in his '47 Cadillac limo, I've seen that film, but I'm not Ansel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I'll suggest that on any trip of this sort you should concentrate on using one format; you carry less weight, use less film, and it helps keep your mind clear. Which is important when you're confronted with a large new subject...
    I know Ansel took the whole shooting-match when he went out in his '47 Cadillac limo, I've seen that film, but I'm not Ansel.
    I’m no Ansel, either. I’m sticking with 4x5 on this trip.