Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film advice

Film advice

I am looking for some B&W film for portraits and landscapes but not just one film that will do both (unless there is such a film). I understand how color film has variations in saturation, warmth, etc. but I am not sure what variations exist between different B&W films. Also, what is a good color portrait film?

Film advice

What format and what speed do you want?

Ilford's FP4+ can be a very good choice. It's realistic speed is between 64 and 80. I would not recommend the T-Max films for variable outdoor useage. They can be finicky about processing if it is not done mechanically with absolute control over time, temp, and agitation. If you are looking for a little more speed I would suggest Kodak's Tri-X which now has a speed of about 200 for most people.

steve simmons

Film advice

I guess I should have been a bit more specific. I am looking for 4x5 format and I am not too picky about speed (50-200 should be fine). Also, I don't develop my own film so I need something that I can take to a lab.

Film advice

I agree that FP4+ is a good choice for portraits, and for landscape, too, for that matter. It's a "traditional" emulsion, so it's a little "softer" in appearance than the T-grained films like the Ilford Deltas or T-Max from Big Yellow. My developer preference for FP4+ is Ilford's DD-X, and I get close to box speed in that developer, mixed at the standard 1+4. If Ilford made Pan F+ in sheets, I'd use that for portraiture, as it's even creamier than FP4+.

Film advice

Chris,

You might consider Polaroid Type 55, since you can 'clear' it yourself I'm thinking it might be more cost effective for you. It is a very nice film for both portraits and landscapes btw---nearly everyone who has used it gets a dreamy look in thier eye when you mention "Type 55"

FWIW I find that for me there are more important considerations than what b&w film excels for a stated purpose (unless it required for low light & reciprocity factors come into play---thats what TMAX 400 is for IMHO) I think in most cases, developers and technique have more effect on the negative than the film you use and since you're sending out for lab work, your lab might be the determining factor to consider. You probably can't go wrong with FP-4+ or Tri-X---everyplace should be able to handle those films---or just use Type 55, shoot for the negative and clear the stuff yourself.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Film advice

Another vote for FP4+. I also use t-max or Acros when reciprocity failure is a concern.

Film advice

FP4 or HP5 for everything, pick one and stick with it.

Film advice

I agree with FP4 or HP5 as a good general-purpose B&W film.

For color portraits I would suggest either Fuji Pro 160S or Astia 100F, depending on whether you want to use print or transparency film.

Big Negs Rock!

Film advice

I use FP4+ in D76 deep tank and really like it. I've found the speed to be EI 160 with this method. Bergger 200 is good too. I find it to be EI 200 in my tanks. Enjoy your images.

MW
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Film advice

Contrary with what others may say about T Max 400, it is one of the most marvelous films available in the current market. I have developed it with a JOBO, in trays, hangers and in tubes with just about every developer available (ABC pyro, Pyrocat HD, DDX, D76, Rodinal, T Max RS, Harveys 777 and Xtol) and it simply hits a home run every time. The extra film speed is icing on the cake beyond its excellent reciprocity characteristics and the fact that it builds density like a .44 magnum straight to the moon. If I were forced to pick one film for everything I shoot, T Max 400 would gladly take the top honors.

Cheers!