Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck strap for Linhof Super Technika V

Neck strap for Linhof Super Technika V

Hello all,

I'm going to start doing some handheld work with my Super Technika V, and I'm looking for neck strap recommendations. I've looked into a couple of options, namely:
    - Official Linhof strap... too expensive unfortunately.
    - Domke Gripper 1.5"... A very nice strap, but I'm not sure it'll support the weight of my Technika setup. (Body, Nikkor W 135mm 5.6 S, Anatomical Grip, Universal Zoom Viewfinder, film back.)
    - Nikon AN-6W or Y... A very comfortable strap (I've got one each on my F3 and F4) but same issue as above.

I would very much appreciate suggestions or recommendations for neck straps. And, experience from folks who handhold their Technikas.

Thanks.

Re: Neck strap for Linhof Super Technika V

Have you thought of using a monopod?

I carried a Master Technika with all the trimmings around my neck for a walk once. Never again: the 8-9 pounds of a fully-loaded Technika is way too much for me both around the neck and in hand at eye level for composition/exposure, and the burden just exacerbates the considerable challenge of getting a decent yield of usable, properly-focused exposures with such a device hand-held.

But you may be in better shape than I am. Assuming a strap of decent quality marketed for use with heavier cameras (e.g. medium format, or 35/FF with the kinds of big lenses used by hard-core sports/wildlife photographers), my primary concern would be the connection to the camera - with that load I'd be very wary of any kind of quick-release, and any connecting rings should be extra robust.

A friend used Peak Design for his Technika
    https://www.peakdesign.com/products/...1833992.a43774
    swears by them and not at them.

Personally prefer UPstraps. They have never let me down and stay solidly on my shoulder.... I much prefer to have the camera hanging from my shoulder and not (in front of me) over my neck.
    https://journeycamera.com/

"Official Linhof strap... too expensive unfortunately." Curious how much money for one of them....

there are camera straps that use rock climbing rope
    https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff...camera-straps/
    Certainly would easily hold a Technika but not sure how comfortable they would be.

One inch (rock climbing) webbing probably the best of all worlds. A local tailor or shoe repair person could probably sew you one up for well under $50.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    One inch (rock climbing) webbing probably the best of all worlds. A local tailor or shoe repair person could probably sew you one up for well under $50.00.
    If you are going to use climbing webbing then do like the climbers do and just learn how to tie a water knot. You will need a heavy duty knot for that Linhof.

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    Have you thought of using a monopod?
    Great suggestion, but for my purposes, a monopod wouldn't really work.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I carried a Master Technika with all the trimmings around my neck for a walk once. Never again: the 8-9 pounds of a fully-loaded Technika is way too much for me both around the neck and in hand at eye level for composition/exposure, and the burden just exacerbates the considerable challenge of getting a decent yield of usable, properly-focused exposures with such a device hand-held.

But you may be in better shape than I am. Assuming a strap of decent quality marketed for use with heavier cameras (e.g. medium format, or 35/FF with the kinds of big lenses used by hard-core sports/wildlife photographers), my primary concern would be the connection to the camera - with that load I'd be very wary of any kind of quick-release, and any connecting rings should be extra robust.
    I use a Mamiya RZ67 handheld very often with the 110mm 2.8. With that one I use the neck strap that came with the 645 pro originally. It's roughly 1" wide at the neck and tapers off to about 0.75" at the ends. Given how much heavier the Technika is, I'm worried about the width at the neck, and how the weight is distributed. Ideally, I'm looking for something 1.5" or wider.

I'll definitely look into straps for large sports setups. You make a good point about the quick releases... I'm wary of them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A friend used Peak Design for his Technika
    https://www.peakdesign.com/products/...1833992.a43774
    swears by them and not at them.

Personally prefer UPstraps. They have never let me down and stay solidly on my shoulder.... I much prefer to have the camera hanging from my shoulder and not (in front of me) over my neck.
    https://journeycamera.com/

"Official Linhof strap... too expensive unfortunately." Curious how much money for one of them....

there are camera straps that use rock climbing rope
    https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff...camera-straps/
    Certainly would easily hold a Technika but not sure how comfortable they would be.

I have a family member who uses a peak design strap. The strap itself is lovely, and incredibly strong, but the quick release points worry me.

That UPstraps large mountain pad looks like a solid choice. I'll consider that one, for sure.

The official strap, bought straight from Linhof costs 65 euro.

I've used an OpTech strap with really nice padding to carry an MT around my neck in the past.

Second option, any of the straps that connect to the tripod mount, and wear cross-body style. I've done both.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

If you can find a Tamarac N45, try it. They're no longer made, but can be found on eBay for a fair price, usually less than $25. It has detachable buckles, and has a padded suede support for your neck. I've used them for years with 4x5 press cameras, RB/RZ-67, Hasselblads, etc.
    Best,
    Dennis