Thread: Large Format Print Review - change of date to April 29

Large Format Print Review - change of date to April 29

A little while ago, I announced gathering for those interesed in showing their large format prints and viewing others. The original date was April 19, 2023 and this has been changed to April 29.

For a number of years, the friends of the Midwest Large Format Asylum have gathered for an informal, non-competitive print review. It was held in January but this year the event will be on Saturday, April 29 in Chesterton Indiana. Check out the Facebook page for the Midwest Large Format Asylum (MLFA) for details about the event. It is open to all who want to show their Large Format work....or want to see the Large Format work of others. This is an informal, non-competitive gathering.

Check out the Midwest Large Format Asylum facebook page for details. https://www.facebook.com/groups/275113417230/

There is no fee for attending or showing your work.

Re: Large Format Print Review - change of date to April 29

Many here will never use FakeBook

I already registered from the last post you gave us, AND posted an Advertisement in our normal style

I will remove the listing I posted shortly

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    A little while ago, I announced gathering for those interesed in showing their large format prints and viewing others. The original date was April 19, 2023 and this has been changed to April 29.

For a number of years, the friends of the Midwest Large Format Asylum have gathered for an informal, non-competitive print review. It was held in January but this year the event will be on Saturday, April 29 in Chesterton Indiana. Check out the Facebook page for the Midwest Large Format Asylum (MLFA) for details about the event. It is open to all who want to show their Large Format work....or want to see the Large Format work of others. This is an informal, non-competitive gathering.

Check out the Midwest Large Format Asylum facebook page for details. https://www.facebook.com/groups/275113417230/

There is no fee for attending or showing your work.
    Tin Can

Will be planning to attend again, hopefully with new prints to show. This event has always been an education and inspiration, and a chance to see some very fine work.

It is so rare these days for large format photographers to gather in person - and share in an appreciative fashion. In the past, when this was an annual event, people showed what they had been working on in the last 12 months. Now I hope people who have not come before bring more of their "best of".

The definition of "large format" has evolved a bit over the years. Some bring wet darkroom prints, while others bring digital prints. But the capture is all large format film.

Check out the fb Midwest Large Format Asylum site for details of the event in Chesterton, Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisF View Post
    Its not very useful to direct people's attention to a Facebook page when many people (myself included) will not deal with Facebook content. Its the equivalent of pointing at a locked box and saying "everything you need to know is in there - help yourself" but you've neglected to give us the key.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Its not very useful to direct people's attention to a Facebook page when many people (myself included) will not deal with Facebook content. Its the equivalent of pointing at a locked box and saying "everything you need to know is in there - help yourself" but you've neglected to give us the key.
    Applogies - point well taken. To attend and show your work, you do not need to be a member of the Midwest Large Format Asylum or even be part of Facebook.

Here is the information for those who might be interested. Just give me a heads up if anyone is interested in coming. Also glad to answer any questions. Thanks, Francis Fullam

PRINT REVIEW RESCHEDULED TO SATURDAY, APRIL 29
    There is great interest in the returning to Chesterton, IN for the Print Review this year, but we needed to change the date to Saturday, April, 29. The event is from 9am to 5pm and is hosted at Best Western Indian Oak Motel at 558 Indian Boundary Road, Chesterton, IN.

Midwest Large Format Asylum (MLFA) print review is an informal gathering of large format photographers to present their prints in this relaxed setting. It provides a platform for non-competitive exhibition exclusively meant for appreciation and constructive feedback.

Bringing a print is not necessary. You are welcome to join us just to see others' prints. If bringing your own prints to show, you may bring any number of prints for display. While it is preferred to have mounted prints (not in frames) it is not necessary. Mounting prints make it easier to handle and has an aesthetic appeal.
    In addition to our usual agenda of "show and tell" we want to introduce some new elements. Details will follow. During the hour long lunch break you are free to fetch lunch on your own, but we strongly recommend eating in with the group and enjoying conversation on the success/shortcomings of this event. Lunch order is collected at the beginning of the day when you sign in, and lunch will be brought in. It typically costs about $15 per person.
    We will also have an area set up for you to sell or donate any photography related equipment/material.
    The cost of hotel room is about about $90-$100 per night (not including tax). A block of rooms has been allocated for this group at the the Best Western Indian Oak. Here is the link
    https://www.bestwestern.com/.../hotel-rooms.15095.html...
    Or you can call the motel to make a reservation 1 (800) 780-7234

Some of us will stay Friday and Saturday nights. You are welcome to join us for dinner on both nights. In addition, Indiana Dunes are nearby – a great location for shooting.
    https://www.in.gov/.../parks-lakes/i...es-state-park/

You might plans some extra time in the area and visit this beautiful place.

This is a free event. However, donations of a few dollars are welcome to cover the conference room expenses. Otherwise, your meals and lodging are your only expenses.
    If you are interest in attending or have any questions, please reply to this posting.

Friends of MLFA Print Review Committee
    Rick Tapio, Debejyo Chakraborty, Steve Bennett, Gayle Moore, Tom Potter, Francis Fullam

PRESENTATIONS ADDED TO MIDWEST LARGE FORMAT ASYLUM Print Review - April 28 and 29

The planning is coming along for the Print Review on Saturday April 29. This is an all day event for people to show their work and talk about it.

Since some people will be driving in the night before, we will have a dinner for those who want to come. Then after dinner we have added two presentations. James Kyle will talk about his work with paper negeatives and his technique. Ken Hough (master of all things Deardorff) will talk about bellows construction, repair and maintenance.

For those of you who are Facebook inclinded, check out the Midwest Large Format Ayslum page. The event is free.

Deardorff Sales and service

One of the most obvious parts of a large format camera is the bellows. It is also one of the most ignored parts. My presentation at the large format asylum will be how to take care of leather and synthetic bellows and also how to patch pinholes. And what materials to use. I hope it will be an enjoyable and informative chat. I will bring some worn out bellows that can be brought back to life at least for a while. Hope to see you thene
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com