Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Displaying Large Format Chromes

Displaying Large Format Chromes

Is anyone mounting the slide film sheet in a lighted box for mounting on the wall rather than making a print? How did you do it? Any advice? Pictures of what it looks like on the wall.

Re: Displaying Large Format Chromes

Never have seen this done.

I used to work in medical diagnostic imaging, doing "Nuclear Medicine". W had large lighted viewing boxes in every room. I brought my 8x10 chromes and B&W negs, to work for initial review and editing regularly.

Always wondered how to do something similar for display, but never acted on the thoughts though.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

It's everywhere

We see it in stores, Bus Stops, etc
    Tin Can

I did it with blue tinted X-Ray in my street windows years ago
    Tin Can

As lovely as they are, E6 transparencies will fade relatively quickly when left transilluminated for long periods.
    Kodak used to make transparency materials, Duratrans and Duraclear, for making positive display transparencies from color negatives. I suppose they are long discontinued now. The films used the RA-4 process; I've made some but can't recall the materials' longevity when on display.
    And of course you can make film positives from b/w negatives.
    I think the reason we haven't seen more of this is the high cost of a good (bright, even, high CRI) light source.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    As lovely as they are, E6 transparencies will fade relatively quickly when left transilluminated for long periods.
    Kodak used to make transparency materials, Duratrans and Duraclear, for making positive display transparencies from color negatives. I suppose they are long discontinued now. The films used the RA-4 process; I've made some but can't recall the materials' longevity when on display.
    I think the reason we haven't seen more of this is the high cost of a good (bright, even, high CRI) light source.
    Would LED lighting available today do that to the chromes?

https://heritageprinting.com/blog/wi...20installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Tin Can

Many things can be 'wrapped' entire buses, race cars

I changed my tool truck vinyl complete wrap 1982 with one helper, no experience

They print on huge printers anything
    Tin Can

Issues here is not just the type of back lighting used, E6 color transparencies have a limited projection life due to the dyes and process used. Outdoor sun light exposure is greatly more harsh and fading to all color materials due to the broad spectra and possible intensity of sun light..

Back in them days, Duratrans and proper CRI back lighted box was very commonly used as color displays for ADs and more.. Today, LCD displays with contrast modulated LED back lighting have replaced these displays and are a vast improvement in many, many, many ways.

This is much about visual perception of transmitted color -vs- reflected color. They produce very different visual responses, thus the visual appeal of color transparencies or transmitted color. This is a similar visual effect as watching a large flat screen display ala "TV".. which is very common today.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post

Most all light sources have a UV component that will accelerate fading over intervals... Even UV resistant materials will start degrading due to their proximity to light sources (look closely at bus stop ads or cosmetic display ads) to see a hint of fading even after weeks...

Dupe multi chromes to replace media as fading starts...

Steve K