Thread: Predatory Business Practices, Please share your thoughts and opinions

Question Predatory Business Practices, Please share your thoughts and opinions

Today I saw another example of the these predatory business practices in action. A lens purchased from a member here on the forum for $250, is now for sale on their website and ebay for $1978. A 691.2% markup. Now if you choose to sell the lens for $500, a 100% markup, you would still be considered a champion capitalist. If that is your goal with these rare tools, that the few of us practicing these traditional methods of photography still cherish.

Now this next bit is purly speculative, but I would think that if you decide to start a business that caters to this niche market, you likely have similar photographic passions and think kindly of our community, especially since that is whom you hope will patronize your business. If you sell photographic tools then your goal is literally to put those tools in the hands of individuals that make photographs (exceptions always exist - collectors, etc.). Since it is indeed a relatively small community, word about these practices will get around and hopefully there will be some accountability. Ultimately that is what I'm hoping for by sharing this observation.

This way of doing business effectively takes the few of these remaining tools that are still in working order out of circulation. Now I'm not here to tell anyone how to run their business, what I'm putting forth is the notion that, although you can markup your product 10,000% if that pleases you, by doing so you will put yourself out of business because no one will be willing to pay your asking price. There are checks and balances on what can and can't be done. In short, at the end of the day the prospective customers are the ones who determine the price.

What do you folks think about these ways of doing business, particularly in our niche little neck of the photographic woods? I know that I've aready made this choice, but would you discontinue patronage to a company that does these things on account of the fact that if enough of us do so, we will be able to make the change that effectively puts these tools back in our hands so that we can do the work we love to do?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Predatory Business Practices, Please share your thoughts and opinions

Please don’t… this won’t go well. We’ve been through this kind of discussion enough already.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Like you said, if their business practices don’t result in sales they will have priced themselves right out of business. Their choice. Not much more needs to be said about it.

That is indeed my intention with the post - bring it to the attention of folks that are potentially affected, which will hopefully cause the action that compels sellers to either price their products/business in or out of existence.

It deals with the idea that if a business takes an action that is destructive and harmful, yet produces economic advantages over it's competition, all competitors must adopt those harmful practices lest they be eliminated.

Since there will always be a select few that have considerably more resources than the majority, the businesses who practice this pricing standard will, as I saw last month with another similar listing, eventually sell their product. The main trouble is that it sets the standard going forward. Everyone who has product X, that was previously sold for $250, now observes that it has/can be sold for $1978 and will price accordingly.

As someone who is not wealthy, by any standard, and spends all of their resources on film, chemisty, paper, rent, and food, I'm simply advocating for others that share the same passion/love for making photographs. Our collective efforts can keep the tools we need within reach, AND keep the businesses that also value those things going/profitable.

I send loads of money to a wonderful camera shop in SF for film, etc. not because they are the cheapest, not because they are the closest to me (they are not), but because they are nice caring people that support the community.

I'm curious who is doing this.

Is this the lens in question?

Looking around the interwebs etc, it seems this particular lens was priced very low, no idea on condition other than the photos posted etc. but the markup was there. I think the low selling price skews it. I have no experience with the seller so ymmv.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

What Brian said.